Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

SmallMatrix in IPP

renhong
Beginner
Dear Sir,
I want to get more Information about Small Matrix. Can you give me some help?
And as for the Intel IPPRuntime Installer,should I install it to the target PC? I can guess the difference between dispatcher DLLs and optimised DLLs, but I want to get more information in detail.
For instance, how about "HyperThread", or is there any difference for Pentinum 4 or XEON CPUs. What is the disadvantage if dispatcher DLLs are used?
By the way, some prototype introduced in SmallMatrix manual are lack of Paremeters. By importing them accroding the prototpye defined in C headers, you can avoid Exception.
Best regards
renhong
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hi renhong,
First of all, thank you for your interest to IPP.
So many questions, it is difficult to answer all in one message. Let us go step by step:)
1) Yes, we will try to help you as much as we can. If we can't you'd better submit question through Premier support channel.
2) HyperThreading. You know, hyper threading is technology incorporated in some modern processors. IPP libraries do provide support for this in some functions (mainly where it make sense).
3) If you see some mistakes or if you enconters some bugs please submit your report trough Premier support.
Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
robinzon
Beginner

Hi!

An existing documentation has insufficient explanation to understanding ippm.

What do you want to know more about ippm (Small Matrix)?

--------------------------

Best regards

robinzon

0 Kudos
renhong
Beginner
Dear Sir,
I want to knowthe merit for me to install the Intel IPP Runtime Installer to my PC.
Can I let my application work in a certain target PC whitout install IPP fully to it? It seems to me the only merit is that the runtime installer installs DLLs optimised to target CPU to C:Windowssystem32so that it is not necessary to correct PATH.
Is there any other merits?
Best regards.
Sun
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hi,
IPP run time installer is dedicated to be redistributed as a part of installation programwithIPP-based application from developer to the end-users. If you are end-user, I think you need not in it.
Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
renhong
Beginner
Dear Sir :
I am a little bit confused.
I am developing IPP-based application and when I distribute the application, I can just provide my enduser with therun time installer. Of cause , for me, I have to install the full package of IPP to my developement enviroment.
Will this be fine?
Best regards.
Sun
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hi Sun,
yes, it is exactly what I wanted to say. You need full installation on development system but youcan to provide end-user with only run-time installer.
Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
renhong
Beginner
Hi, Vladimir
Thank you for your kindness.
As for HyperThreading, do you mean it is not necessary for those who develope applications with IPP to realize. i.e., IPP will do this automatically.
Can you give me an example, in what kind of functions HyperThreading makes sense ?
Best regards
Sun
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hi Sun,
what I want to sayis -yes, IPP will do threading in some functions automatically (but with leaving you way to control it), but of course, developers should care about threading on level above IPP because they know their applications better than anyone else. So, theymay achieve better results than any "automatic" mode can provide.
The example of functions where threading is good enough is color conversion functions, like ippiRGBToYCbCr for big enough images. In this case several threads can process several lines of image simultineously.
Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos