Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6716 Discussions

Using old libraries on new core architectures

StefanoBettega
Beginner

Recently we had our application crashing on a single PC (having an Intel® Core™ i7-13700HX), while it was still performing good on other ones (Intel® Core™ i9-9900K, Intel® Core™ i7-11700 and Intel® Core™ i5-12500E) with the same input data.

We found a way to make it working on the failing one, just disabling HyperThreading in BIOS.

Analyzing the dump I found that an IPP operation (ippiPyrDownGetBufSize_Gauss5x5, pyramid decomposition, from IPP legacy) on a 32 bit floating point image wasn't carrying out the expected results (after four levels of processing, the fifth level produced an image with some -NaN inside, which in turn carried out to an access violation when trying to perform a LUT operation).

As we are using a quite old version of TBB (2020.2) and IPP (2020.0.166 and IPP legacy 9.0.0.009), I was wondering if these libraries can potentially have some issues when used on hybrid CPU like the i7-13700HX which has P and E cores (while the i5-12500E, despite being of the same architecture, doesn't have any E core as per specs).

3 Replies
StefanoBettega
Beginner

We found that it wasn't the library function failing, rather than our parallelized implementation.

0 Kudos
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel Communities.

Could you please let us know your use case and also could you please provide us with the OS details and sample reproducer to reproduce your scenario at our end?

And, we recommend you use the latest IPP version and TBB version, in order for more features and better performance.

Thanks & Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you. Could you please provide us with an update on your issue?

Thanks & Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos