Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Visual Studio 6.0 Linker errors

Chris_G
Beginner
I too am getting linker errors when building code derived from your 5.0 sample code.
@__security_check_cookie@4
ippvcmerged.lib(pvch264recmb_split2.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4
ippvcmerged.lib(pvch264recmb_split4.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4
ippvcmerged.lib(pvch264huffman_split1.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4
ippvcmerged.lib(pvch264huffman_split1.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4
ippvcmerged.lib(pvch264transform_split9.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4
ippvcmerged.lib(pvch264transform_split9.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4
ippvcmerged.lib(pvch264deblocking_split3.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4
ippimerged.lib(pidct88i_3_split10.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4
ippvcmerged.lib(pvch264transform_split8.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4
ippvcmerged.lib(pvch264transform_split8.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4

I've seen this issues adressed in other postings, but I don't understand the solution. The proposed solution was to link against "bufferoverflowu.lib". This library is supposed to part of the latest Platform SDK. But, according to the Microsoft Site:
"The last SDK that will work with VC 6.0 is the February 2003 Edition..." and that Platform SDK doesn't include the bufferoverflowu.lib.
Also I did get a copy of this lib and tried linking against it. But the linker failed and said the lib was corrupt. This is most likely due to it being built by a later version of the compiler.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

You might be interested to read article about MS VC v6.0 link issue on IPP Technical Support page

http://support.intel.com/support/performancetools/libraries/ipp/win/ia/sb/CS-022140.htm

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
reif
Beginner

I also am having the exact same problems staticly linking the IPP libraries with my app.

Will Intel be providing VC6 compatable static libraries in the future?

Can we downgrade to an earlier version that supports VC6 static libraries?

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hello,

you need to use the same solution for the same problem, is not it? Could you please check this article on IPP Technical Support page

LNK2001 error: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
reif
Beginner
From the link:
Note: Linking with bufferoverflowU.lib can help for release project mode only, not for debug.
So this is only a partial solution at best. The proper solution would be to supply two versions of the libraries: one for VC6 and one for VC7+.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

You are right. This solution does not work for debug build. Sorry, we do not have plans to support two generation old compilers.Could you consider to move to the new build tools? The main benefits is that they provide you with more safe and secure binary code.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos