Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

help with IPP

gotrojan
Beginner
Hi,

I want to use IPP for one of my research projects.
I installed IPP and also downloaded the IPP sample.

Here is my problem.

I downloaded the Intel compiler for compiling the IPP's IJG sample. It compiled without any errors, but it gave me a bunch of linking errors at runtime. So, I tried to compile the Intel provided examples from the IPP package and still got a few linking errors which refuse to go.

Q1. Do I really need Intel's compiler to run these samples or any compiler would work for me?
Q2. How to get rid of the linking errors?

Here is what I am getting:
--------------------Configuration: ippsSample - Win32 Debug--------------------
Linking...
ippsSample.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall CMainFrame::CMainFrame(void)" (??0CMainFrame@@QAE@XZ)
ippsSample.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static struct CRuntimeClass const CSampleDoc::classCSampleDoc" (?classCSampleDoc@CSampleDoc@@2UCRuntimeClass@@B)
ippsSample.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static struct CRuntimeClass const CChildFrame::classCChildFrame" (?classCChildFrame@CChildFrame@@2UCRuntimeClass@@B)
ippsSample.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static struct CRuntimeClass const CSampleView::classCSampleView" (?classCSampleView@CSampleView@@2UCRuntimeClass@@B)
ippsSample.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _ippGetStatusString@4
nafxcwd.lib(thrdcore.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __endthreadex
nafxcwd.lib(thrdcore.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __beginthreadex
libcd.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main
Debug/ippsSample.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 8 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

ippsSample.exe - 9 error(s), 0 warning(s)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is obvious that the linker is not getting the path to the lib files, but which lib files are those?
I am using Win XP pro and Visual C++ 6.0

Regards,
Amol Ghanekar
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hi,
I'm a bit confused, you told about IJG sample but in your listing I can see you tried to build ippsSample. BTW, what version of Intel compiler did you use? Note, you can see list of supported compilers in each sample's readme.htm file.
Of course, it is not mandatory to use Intel compiler, you can use any 32-bit compiler, but we tested our samples with only limited set of tools (see readme.htm for the details). The only reason to use Intel compiler is performance of your application, because Intel compiler is very good in optimization of code for Intel architecture.
Hope it helps,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
gotrojan
Beginner
Well, what I meant was that I tried IJG but it did not work.
So I thought that atleast the examples provided by Intel with the compiler should work, but to my surprise they didnt work. They gave the errors which I stated above.
I am using Intel's compiler 8.1 for windows.
Operating System is Win XP professional
Application is Visual Studio 6.0

Message Edited by gotrojan on 02-23-2005 09:51 PM

Message Edited by gotrojan on 02-23-2005 09:51 PM

0 Kudos
gotrojan
Beginner
Well, what I meant was that I tried IJG but the files in it did not work.

So I thought that atleast the examples provided by Intel with the IPP package should run, but to my surprise they didnt work. They gave the linking errors which I pasted above.
I am using Intel's compiler 8.0 for windows.
Operating System is Win XP professional
Application is Visual Studio 6.0

------------------------
In the Project settings under "General" tab -> Microsoft Foundation Classes: the earlier option was "Not Using MFC".

I changed it to "Use MFC in a static library" and the errors reduced. Now they are:
--------------------Configuration: ippsSample - Win32 Debug--------------------
Linking...
xilink6: executing 'C:PROGRA~1MICROS~4VC98Binlink.exe'
ippsSample.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _ippGetStatusString@4
ippsSample.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static struct CRuntimeClass const CChildFrame::classCChildFrame" (?classCChildFrame@CChildFrame@@2UCRuntimeClass@@B)
ippsSample.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static struct CRuntimeClass const CSampleDoc::classCSampleDoc" (?classCSampleDoc@CSampleDoc@@2UCRuntimeClass@@B)
ippsSample.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static struct CRuntimeClass const CSampleView::classCSampleView" (?classCSampleView@CSampleView@@2UCRuntimeClass@@B)
ippsSample.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall CMainFrame::CMainFrame(void)" (??0CMainFrame@@QAE@XZ)
msvcrtd.lib(crtexe.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main
Debug/ippsSample.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 6 unresolved externals
Error executing xilink6.exe.

ippsSample.exe - 7 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Message Edited by gotrojan on 02-24-2005 02:34 AM

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
That's interesting, I've just checked this sample inIPP v4.1: project settings - Use MFC in shared DLL is set by default. Build was successful without warnings. Can you please double check you work with the latest version of sample?
The same with IJG sample.
Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos