Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2166 Discussions

Intel trace analyzer for MPI code (Linux)

SashaRoss
Beginner

Hi,

I'm trying to get some profiling of the code written in fortran and compiled with ifort. I've installed Intel oneapi HPC toolkit, sourced setvars.sh. I've added "-trace" flag to my Makefile so that I am able to "make" it and then "mpirun -n 8 <filename>" runs it. The only file I see, however, is <filename>.prot, which looks like a binary file so I have no idea what to do with and how to get <something>.stf for further analysis with traceanalyzer tool. Could someone please help me here?

Another problem arises if instead of "mpirun -n 8 ..." I'm using "mpirun -trace -n 8 ....": the simulation initializes the grid and then terminates with the following error:

[0] Intel(R) Trace Collector ERROR: Unexpected empty communicator [_sdks/release_posix-x86_64_icl_2021.9_gnut
ools_5.3/collector_1.0.0/include/mpi_wrappers/cmpiwrappers_MPI_COLL.c:1999], aborting.
[3] Intel(R) Trace Collector ERROR: Unexpected empty communicator [_sdks/release_posix-x86_64_icl_2021.9_gnut
ools_5.3/collector_1.0.0/include/mpi_wrappers/cmpiwrappers_MPI_COLL.c:1999], aborting.
[4] Intel(R) Trace Collector ERROR: Unexpected empty communicator [_sdks/release_posix-x86_64_icl_2021.9_gnut
[1] Intel(R) Trace Collector ERROR: Unexpected empty communicator [_sdks/release_posix-x86_64_icl_2021.9_gnut
[5] Intel(R) Trace Collector ERROR: Unexpected empty communicator [_sdks/release_posix-x86_64_icl_2021.9_gnut
[7] Intel(R) Trace Collector ERROR: Unexpected empty communicator [_sdks/release_posix-x86_64_icl_2021.9_gnut

===================================================================================
=   BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
=   RANK 2 PID 9800 RUNNING AT archXPS
=   KILLED BY SIGNAL: 9 (Killed)
===================================================================================

=   BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
=   RANK 6 PID 9804 RUNNING AT archXPS
=   KILLED BY SIGNAL: 9 (Killed)

I have no idea whatsoever as to why it lists icl compiler (for Windows?!) and what can be done here.

Any help will be appreciated.

Alexander

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Vipin_Singh1

Hi, Sasha; we would like to inform you that we are routing your query to the dedicated team for further assistance.

0 Kudos