Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2164 Discussions

Windows System "-bootstrap ssh" not working.

habbaya
Novice

Hello ~

I want to use ssh bootstrap in Windows10 systems.

But I don't know how to enable ssh in bootstrap servers.

And I used openssh-server and ssh no password login is OK.

[Intel MPI Info]

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI>mpiexec -info
HYDRA build details:
Version: 2021.8
Release Date: 20221129
Process Manager: pmi
Bootstrap servers available: service lsf blaunch
Resource management kernels available: hpc lsf

[MPI Test]

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI>mpiexec -bootstrap ssh -host localhost hostname
[mpiexec@mpi-client01] HYD_bstrap_setup (bstrap\src\intel\i_hydra_bstrap.c:991): unrecognized launcher ssh
[mpiexec@mpi-client01] HYD_print_bstrap_setup_error_message (intel\i_mpiexec.c:1027): error setting up the bootstrap proxies
[mpiexec@mpi-client01] Possible reasons:
[mpiexec@mpi-client01] 1. Host is unavailable. Please check that all hosts are available.
[mpiexec@mpi-client01] 2. Cannot launch hydra_bstrap_proxy.exe or it crashed on one of the hosts. Make sure hydra_bstrap_proxy.exe is available on all hosts and it has right permissions.
[mpiexec@mpi-client01] 3. Firewall refused connection. Check that enough ports are allowed in the firewall and specify them with the I_MPI_PORT_RANGE variable.
[mpiexec@mpi-client01] 4. Ssh bootstrap cannot launch processes on remote host. Make sure that passwordless ssh connection is established across compute hosts.
[mpiexec@mpi-client01] You may try using -bootstrap option to select alternative launcher.

[ssh Test]

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI>ssh localhost
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.2673]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

susol@MPI-CLIENT01 C:\Users\susol>exit
Connection to localhost closed.

Please help me.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AishwaryaCV_Intel

Hi, 

As your initial query is resolved, could you please confirm whether we can close this issue? 

Thanks And Regards,

Aishwarya

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AishwaryaCV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in intel communities. 

If you are launching an MPI job on localhost (i.e., on the same machine on which you are running the mpiexec command), there is no need to use the -bootstrap ssh option.

mpiexec -host localhost hostname

And also ,if you check by using command in windows 'mpiexec --help' , '-launcher' option does not use ssh where as in linux  'mpirun --help' ,        '-launcher' option does support ssh. Can find the  two screenshots attached respectively.

Thanks And Regards,

Aishwarya

habbaya
Novice

Hello ~

Thank you very much for reply.

I wanted to use mpi in a mixed OS (windows and linux) environment.

I thought Windows doesn't seem to supports ssh bootstrap, so i inquired.

I understood what you said.

I don't know how to use mpi on mixed os environment yet.

This is another my post. 

community.intel.com/t5/Intel-oneAPI-Base-Toolkit/I-want-use-heterogeneous-Windows-Linux-environment/m-p/1461270#M2804

By the way, Thanks again for reply to my post.

0 Kudos
AishwaryaCV_Intel

Hi, 

As your initial query is resolved, could you please confirm whether we can close this issue? 

Thanks And Regards,

Aishwarya

0 Kudos