Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Hyper-Threading & Internet Explorer problem

lagunan
Beginner
Hello,
I recently upgraded my P4 2.5 mhz cpu to a P4 3.2 mhz HT cpu and I am having an interesting problem associatedwith Internet Explorer and Hyper Threading. Whenever I have hyperthreading enabled and I use Internet Explorer, I find that whithin a couple of minutes if not sooner, IE slows down to a complete crawl. When I open up Task Manager,I notice that the iexplorer.exeprocess is at 50% CPU useage and the systemprocess is at 50% CPU useage. Killing Internet Explorer does nothing to fix the problem. At this point the computer comes to a complete slowdown and I have to reboot the machine to fix the problem, mind you it takes about 5 minutes to shutdown due to the slowdown. Of course the problem only exists with Hyperthreading enabled because I tested it with it disabled and things worked fine, thus I was able to write this message with no problem.
System:
MB - ASUSP4C800 Deluxe
CPU - P4 3.2 ghz HT
Mem - Corsair 2 x 512 XMS3200C2
OS - Windows XP Pro
Video - Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4800 128mb
Has anybody experienced anything similar, and if so do you have any suggestions? I would love to use the Hyperthreaded feature of my CPU and any suggestions would help.
Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jeffjeffy
Beginner
Hi
First of all , sorry for my english I'm Frenchy from Bordeaux
I bought my new config a month ago :
an asus p4p800
, 2*256 infineon ddr.ram
and a P4 2.8 C HT Stepping Mo(box)
After a long and terrific install
Iexperience the same as you"a complete slow down of everything" ,a 50% use of system and cpu ,while surfing on the web with IE6 SP1 and nothing to dobut a"savage" reboot.
And ,in a french forum talking about my firewall (Look'n'Stop); somebody wrote this thing :"et toujours pas de prise en charge de l'hyper threading pour la version2.05 b1". I translate aproximatly for you "it always not supporting hyper threading for this new beta 2.05 b1"
Back to my computerI uninstall look'n'stop and test another firewall(outpost).
It fix the problem at 100%
So don't give up try to look if it's not your firewall or a security software wich is the origin of your problem
for those who use Look'n'stop I read that the 2.05b2 fix the hyper threading problem
and if not ,you can use netscape 7.1 which work fine with hyper threading enable.
My config:
asus p4p800
p4 2.8c ht
2*256 infineon ddr ram
win xp pro
Leadteck ti 4200 64 Mo

Message Edited by jeffjeffy on 03-11-2004 05:50 AM

0 Kudos
Intel_Software_Netw1
We ran this by our engineering contacts, who suggested that you each contact ASUS support directly to find out whether there is a BIOS update available for your motherboard that might correct the issue:
http://www.asus.com/
Please note that these links will take you to external web sites. Intel is not responsible for content or availability of these sites.
We hope this is helpful.
Regards,

Lexi S.

IntelSoftware NetworkSupport

http://www.intel.com/software

Contact us

Message Edited by intel.software.network.support on 12-01-2005 10:33 AM

0 Kudos
Intel_Software_Netw1

We spoke with an escalation contact on the Intel Processors support team, who provided the following information with regard to this issue:

This type of problem can be caused by many different things. As stated in the forum, it can be a firewall problem or even something with the antivirus software or another program running in the background. It could also be a virus, spyware, trojan, worm, etc. Also, poorly written software can cause problems like this.

It would be difficult to determine exactly what is causing the problem. One recommendation would be to scan the system for any viruses, spyware, trojans, worms, etc. that may be in the system. Disabling any programs that are running in the background would also help, as well as checking for known issues with any of these programs and Hyper-Threading Technology. This could alo be caused by a problem with a corrupt Windows* registry or Windows* files; in this case a clean OS installation may be required.

==

Lexi S.

IntelSoftware NetworkSupport

http://www.intel.com/software

Contact us

Message Edited by intel.software.network.support on 12-01-2005 10:33 AM

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel
Employee

I experienced the System process taking 50% CPU after upgrading from a 2.4Ghz non-HT to a 3.2GHz HT-enabled chip. In Windows Task Manager, this showed up as one of the logical CPUs at 100%.

I used the Process Explorer utility (version 8.4) from sysinternals.com to look at the System process. When I double-clicked on System and selected the Threads tab, it showed ACPI.sys (power management in Windows XP) taking all of the CPU.

I went into the BIOS on my ABIT IS7 and performed a "Load Fail Safe Defaults". After one day of extensive use, this seems to have fixed my issue. My guess is that the power settings were set for the cooler running 2.4GHz CPU.

From everything else I have read, the problem may also be related to low-level software such as firewalls or graphics drivers. Hopefully Process Explorer can shed some light on your problem.

0 Kudos
chadder007
Beginner
Im having a very similar issue. When I turn Hyperthreading on in my BIOS, and boot up using Windows XP Sp2, the system runs fine until I open up Internet Explorer and use it for a few minutes. To which it will eventually peg out the processor (1 of the virtual processors goes to 100%). If I leave it going for a while, it will even blue screen on me.
I have an ABIT AI7 motherboard, I have tried 3 different BIOS revisions to no avail and also have reinstalled Windows XP. Before even, I had Windows 2000 installed and the system would blue screen randomly also with HT enabled.
The processor is a 2.6ghz Northwood with HT.
0 Kudos