cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pkroy
Beginner

No parallelism with cilk++ on AMD 64 bit

Hi,

Recently, I build the programs written in cilk++ on AMD, 64 bit Linux.
The program compiles well, i use -m32 to get the 32 bit version. I use gcc-4.2, and g++-4.2.
But I do not get any parallelism, i.e -cilk_set_worker_count switch has no effect, it seems that cilk++ compiler is not able to pick up the number of cores available ...

On the other hand, I compile the same programs on intel 32 bit Linux using same gcc-4.2 and g++-4.2 version. In this case, I build my program once again in this machine and I do get a speedup, and the switch
-cilk_set_worker_count seems to work.

In both the case, I try to build on same libraries, only difference is that one is 64 bit with 32 bit output and the later one is 32 bit.

My question is : Is it possible for Cilk++ compiler to be unaware of the number of cores and if yes when does it happen ?

Thanks in advance !
Pawan
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

Does a trivial OpenMP app obtain multiple threads?

If not, then the system may be configured to limit the number of threads a process can spawn (1 thread total).
or
If not, environment variable might limit/disable threading
or
If not, you might be linking in the OpenMP stubs

The above relates to OpenMP

Cilk++ may have similar issues (check for options that my link with stubs)

Jim
pkroy
Beginner

I have a similar program written in Cilk++ which scales very well...
I compiled this program on my laptop and then ran this on a multicore machine by linking the executable with cilk dynamic library.

But recently, I have compiled on the multicore machine itself, and the program does not read the number of cores.

Is it that for a cilk++ compilation one must have a specific version of gcc and linker ??

Thanks,
Pawan
TimP
Black Belt

You may get more knowledgeable answers by asking about Cilk on the forum which is dedicated to that product.