Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Can I use an external hard drive with Optane?

DJust1
Beginner

I would like to use the Optane module with an external hard drive since the memory module isn't doing much for the SSD that has my OS installed on it. If, however, this isn't possible, is there any way to assign this to another drive, because as far as I can tell, I can't assign it to another non-SSD drive that is inside of my computer. Does it automatically link up with the boot drive, or just whatever is plugged into the first sata port on the motherboard?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello Ande85,

We understand you would like to add the Intel® Optane™ Memory module to be used with an external HDD, we would like to inform you that currently, Intel® Optane™ Memory can only accelerate one SATA-based boot drive, using Windows® 10 64-bit.

You may find more information about this in the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000024018.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory link.

Let us know if you have any other question.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos