Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane 32GB on Two HDD's

ICond
Novice

the intel optane memory does not support linux, I have 2 hard drives, one of 750gb and another of 160gb, the one of 750 I have windows installed and the optane memory accelerating that disk, the C: , the other is the H: where do I put backups and garbage, if I install Linux on the smallest hard drive, technically there should be no conflicts, right? because the optane is exclusively accelerating the largest with windows, and in the completely separate one I would install MINT for my university tasks, as would be the issue of the dual boot, the optane memory is executed before choosing the OS or after, maybe i can start windows by default and linux idk, doing something that idk, I never did dual boot haha, greetings and thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ICond
Novice

Well thank you very much! it will not be necessary to disconnect the hdd, I already inform myself, it is as easy as to notice that when installing linux it does it on the disk with 160gb of space, and normally it would be the sdb, and the same for the boot device, grub If I do not misunderstand, I also install it in sdb, it is mandatory to install the grub, right? so that linux can boot into the other hdd, thank you very much from now!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. You can not use Optane memory with dual boot on the drive boeing accelerated.
  2. If you will install Linux on separate (160GB) drive, you will be able only to boot manually (from Bios boot menu).
  3. If you have one M.2 slot, I suggest that you stop use Optane module. Instead Optane, buy a 250GB NVMe SSD. Install dual boot for Linux and Windows 10 and Windows O.S. on this SSD. Install Linux on the 160GB drive and the 750GB HDD, use for data storage.
  4. If you have more than one M.2 slot, you may use your Optane module to accelerate your 750GB HDD.

Leon

ICond
Novice

Aaaah ok thanks! i have 3 m2slots, one used for the optane, i don't have money for a ssd so.. i can use the optane with the 750gb and install linux into the 160gb one and start linux when i want from the bios?? thank you again!

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Right. I din't mean from Bios settings, but from Bios Boot Menu.You don't need to enter Bios, to reach the Boot Menu and choose your boot drive. In some systems, you reach the Boot Menu by pressing on F10 after power On (and before Windows starts loading). In other system you need to depress other key (F11 or F12 for example). You need to read your board/computer User Guide and find which key to use.

Leon

ICond
Novice

The linux mint installation freezes before even reaching the partition selecction screen, i have secure boot and fast boot disabled..., sometimes even don't reach the desktop and freezes on the green logo, all this from a usb wich i used before to install mint on two pcs... maybe if i disable first from windows the optane, install linux on the 2rd hdd, and then reenable the optane...., i don't want grub, i want windows as default and only use linux when i press f11 from the boot selection menu :S

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello ICond,

We were reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory Series or if we can close this community thread.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
ICond
Novice

I still need help... read what i posted last time...

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

I would advice not only to disable Optane acceleration, but also it is good idea to disconnect the Windows HDD cable (after disabling Optane). Doing so, you will protect your Windows HDD from unintentionally Linux installation. After installing Linux on the 160GB drive, reconnect the Windows HDD, boot into Bios and set the Windows HDD as the first boot device.

Leon

ICond
Novice

Well thank you very much! it will not be necessary to disconnect the hdd, I already inform myself, it is as easy as to notice that when installing linux it does it on the disk with 160gb of space, and normally it would be the sdb, and the same for the boot device, grub If I do not misunderstand, I also install it in sdb, it is mandatory to install the grub, right? so that linux can boot into the other hdd, thank you very much from now!