Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JScar
Beginner

Intel Optane + HDD seen as One HDD

Jump to solution

Hi.

When I Enabled Intel Optane in Intel RST, then restarted my computer, Defraggler sees the Accelerated drive as an just one HDD, and in Task Manager, it sees it as "1.8TB HDD+Intel Optane" what did I do Wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hi 800Necrozma,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

You didn't do anything wrong, actually that's how the Intel® Optane™ Memory should appear when it has been paired with a HDD. You will see now one drive as you described, so everything is properly configured.

Once you enabled the Intel® Optane™ Memory, both the module and the drive appear as one SSD volume in the OS. As a result, the options for defrag aren't available.

You can be sure that everything is working fine, so you don't have to be worried.

I hope this information clarifies your concern.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You did nothing wrong. Ignore Defraggler.

Doc

JScar
Beginner

but thats before i reinstalled windows, when i reinstalled windows, Defraggler now sees it as an SSD and now i cannot defrag the HDD.

AlHill
Super User

When the optane and hdd are paired, you cannot defrag them, not with defraggler and not with the windows defrag.

Doc

idata
Community Manager

Hi 800Necrozma,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

You didn't do anything wrong, actually that's how the Intel® Optane™ Memory should appear when it has been paired with a HDD. You will see now one drive as you described, so everything is properly configured.

Once you enabled the Intel® Optane™ Memory, both the module and the drive appear as one SSD volume in the OS. As a result, the options for defrag aren't available.

You can be sure that everything is working fine, so you don't have to be worried.

I hope this information clarifies your concern.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

View solution in original post

JScar
Beginner

You Don't understand, in the past, when I enabled optane, the memory module and the SATA drive was recognised as one HDD volume, not an SSD Volume.

idata
Community Manager

Hi 800Necrozma,

That's fine too. The difference may be because there are new versions of the Intel® Optane™ application and drivers, but you don't have to be worried. The Intel® Optane™ Memory should work fine.

Regards,

Diego V.