Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Intel Optane + Sata SSD

Scholar
Beginner

My ASUS X510UFO laptop has 16GB of Intel Optane memory and HDD.

I am planning to replace my HDD with Crucial MX500 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, CT1000MX500SSD1.

So here are my questions;

1. Can i use my Optane to boost the performance of Crucial MX500 SATA SSD.

2. If Yes, then how much of an Improvement will I get?

3. Performance Improvement of [Optane + SATA HDD] vs [Optane + SATA SSD] 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Ragulan_Intel
Employee

Hi Kumar,

Hope you are doing good.

In order to answer your queries, we would appreciate if you can provide us the model of the Intel Optane Memory that you have currently.

Regards,

Ragulan_Intel

0 Kudos
Scholar
Beginner

Hello Ragulan,

Thank you for your response, the model of the Intel Optane Memory is INTEL MEMPEK1J016GA.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RyanFeeko
New Contributor II

Hey @Scholar , i have some info to share with you.

Intel Optane Memory is a cutting-edge technology designed to enhance the performance and responsiveness of computers by acting as a high-speed bridge between the CPU and slower storage devices. Then i will highly suggest you to use Optane + SSD instead of Optane + HDD. However, Optane Memory can be paired with large-capacity storage devices (like traditional hard drives) to provide the speed of an SSD and the capacity of a hard drive without the high cost of large SSDs.

In my opinion, if you use SATA HDD is will capped on the spindle disk RPM and not suitable for performance. Hence, SSD is the best suit for performance. 

Intel Optane Memory accelerates traditional hard drives, solid-state drives (SSDs), and NAND flash memory by caching frequently used data and applications. This results in significantly faster load times and improved overall system responsiveness.

With its high-speed performance, Optane Memory reduces latency, providing quicker access to frequently used data and applications.

It helps in reducing boot times and speeds up application launches, making the overall system experience smoother and more efficient.

Hope this might give you some better idea.

0 Kudos
Ragulan_Intel
Employee

Hi Kumar,

Really appreciate your updates.

However, please be informed that the Intel Optane Memory M10 Series has reached it`s EOIS (End Of Interactive Support).

Intel concludes providing interactive support, including technical support provided through web tickets, telephone, chat, community support forums, or email inquiries.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000098370/memory-and-storage.html

With Intel Optane memory, you may optimize your system performance by enhancing your DRAM (dynamic random access memory), regardless of whether you're using a high-capacity HDD or a SSD.

You may refer to the link below to obtain the Intel Optane M10 Series User Guide which might provide an insight on your queries. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023989/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Regards,

Ragulan_Intel

0 Kudos
Scholar
Beginner

Thank you so much for your response.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Scholar ,

To improve the performance of your notebook, I suggest do the following:

1. Disable the Optane acceleration.

2. Replace the Optane Memory with a compatible NVMe SSD (ask Asus for NVMe SSD compatibility)

3. Clone your HDD to the new NVMe SSD. The NVMe SSD is four time faster than SATA.

4. If you want, you may now replace the old HDD with a 2.5" SATA SSD (or just erase the HDD).

5. Now you may use the HDD/SSD for data storage (pictures, documents, etc,..), while the NVMe SSD use for System and applications.

Leon

Scholar
Beginner

Hello @LeonWaksman ,

Thank you for response. 

My Optane memory socket is M2. SATA key (B+M key), I can't replace it with NVMe SSD.

I can replace it with M2. SATA SSD. So should i go for M2.SATA SSD or HDD, and will Optane be helpful to use with M2. SATA SSD.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Scholar ,

That is the reason that I advised to ask Asus for the compatibility. 

As far I understand the specification of you laptop, it has two M.2 slots: one M.2 2280 SATA3 and the second slot is M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0x2 (where is the Optane installed). Since Optane Memory is an NVMe drive, your laptop should support and NVMe SSD with PCIe 3.0x2 interface.  An example for such SSD may be Kingston A1000.  Any way, again, consult with Asus.

Leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I totally agree with Leon; a half-decent NVMe SSD will outperform the Optane + SATA HDD or Optane + SATA SSD.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos