Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Module utilization is less than 32GB

ZZora1
Beginner

Hello,

When reading the details of my 32GB module of Intel Optane memory, I noticed some weird things :

1. In the "Configuration" tab of the manager software, it says "32 GB Intel Optane Memory = 27.3 GB".

Where did the missing 4.7 GB go ?
  2. In the "Pinning" (translated literally) tab, the module utilisation sums up to (1.7 system files + 0 pinned files + 5.4 user files + 0.1 free space) = 7.2 GB of total available space.

Again, where did the missing 24.8 GB go ? Did I really buy a 32 GB module to use less than one fourth of it ?
  3. Finally, I pinned some applications through the "Pinning/Applications" tab way before the last optimization of the module. However, the total space dedicated to pinned files is 0 GB.

Why is it not working ?

PS : I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I'm not asking my question correctly.

Thanks for your help,

Zedd.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Zedd,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

I'll try to answer your questions one by one.

In the "Configuration" tab of the manager software, it says "32 GB Intel Optane Memory = 27.3 GB". Where did the missing 4.7 GB go?

The module uses a small portion of memory media management and maintenance. The listed density is the raw density of the 3D XPoint Memory Media. So it's not that you have missed memory space, but that's being used for management and maintenance. The same thing happens with the 16GB module version. Even though it's a 16GB module, the space displayed by the system is around 13GB.

In the "Pinning" (translated literally) tab, the module utilization sums up to (1.7 system files + 0 pinned files + 5.4 user files + 0.1 free space) = 7.2 GB of total available space. Again, where did the missing 24.8 GB go? Did I really buy a 32 GB module to use less than one fourth of it?

To provide the best possible user experience, a portion of the module is specifically reserved for the most accessed content/system files and user pinned content. It uses the logic of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RST) driver. That's the capacity you can see in the application.

Another community user had this same question in the following thread:

I pinned some applications through the "Pinning/Applications" tab way before the last optimization of the module. However, the total space dedicated to pinned files is 0 GB. Why is it not working?

Have you tried to pin a file or several files instead of applications? You can pin applications, folders or files. Please take a look at the following guide: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000028779/memory-and-storage.html Pinning a File, Folder, or Application for System Acceleration with...

I hope this information clarifies your concerns. You can check as well the following FAQ articles where these concerns are answered as well as others:

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
ZZora1
Beginner

To provide the best possible user experience, a portion of the module is specifically reserved for the most accessed content/system files and user pinned content.

I am not sure of how to understand this. Does that mean that the missing (24.8 - 4.7 = ) 20.1 GB are managed under the hood by the driver and that I'm left with 7.2 GB that I can manage as I want ?

If so, I'm fine with it as my main concern is that some big portions of the module may not be used at all (whether by me or the driver).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Zedd,

The module capacity is being used by the driver. Besides the pinning feature, the Intel® Optane™ Memory is accelerating the drive in your system and that's managed by the driver without user interaction.

You don't have to be worried about this since all the module capacity is being used.

I hope this clarifies the concern.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
ZZora1
Beginner
0 Kudos