Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

No Optane Module detected - Fresh Windows 10 2004 install

MrMann
Novice

Hello,

I have two HP laptops with have the exact same configuration that I'm re-installing Windows on for a customer.  I installed Windows on one but RST is not detecting the Optane module.  I left 10 GB unallocated at the end of the disk as is required.  I went into the BIOS and reset to non-optane but RST still won't detect the module.  And yes, I know it has one.  Please help.

Disk Mgmt:

Disks.png

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MrMann
Novice

I got it working. 

Some sort of driver incompatibility with 2004.  I installed 1909 and was able to load all the HP drivers successfully and get Optane configured.  Then I upgraded to 2004 and everything seems to work now.  It was a royal pain.  Making things worse was the touch pad wouldn't work until 2004 was installed.  Again, some sort of driver issue with 1909.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MrMann
Novice

Update:  Out of curiosity, on the other system with its original Windows install, I went into the Intel Memory and Storage Management program and disabled Optane, rebooted, and now it's saying that the system doesn't support it!!!  Reasons:

- Unsupported CPU saying requires 7th gen or later but it has a 10th gen

- Unsupported chipset

- There are no valid disk pairs

Is there even a point to using Optane when both disks are being shown as NVMe?  Why would it even be configured like this from the manufacturer?

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @MrMann.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I checked your ticket regarding the Optane Memory setup and the additional details you shared on your second post, I will be glad to assist you.

Depending on the system, it may be required to install the Intel RST driver provided by the system manufacturer or OEM, you will need to check the downloads section for the laptop in question to confirm if this version gives you the option to enable it or not, directly from the Intel Rapid Storage Technology window.

On the other hand, you may also try the latest Intel RST driver from our site (keep in mind that this is a generic driver, designed to work in most systems) and then install the latest Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management from the Microsoft Store (this may also be installed during the driver installation).

- Intel RST 17.9: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29647/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-Installation-Software-with-Intel-Optane-Memory?product=55005

- Optane GUI: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/intel-optane-memory-and-storage-management/9mzng5hzwz1t

If trying with the latest drives from us (matching the RST driver with the Optane™ Memory and Storage Management) or from the OEM does not fix the issue, the next step would be to check what UEFI/BIOS settings need to be adjusted in order for Optane Memory to work properly; generally this is what you would need (these settings may or may not be present or have other names):

- CSM: Disabled

- SATA mode: Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane Memory

- M.2/PCIe/NVMe remapping: Enabled

Regarding the last two things you pointed out "Is there even a point to using Optane when both disks are being shown as NVMe?  Why would it even be configured like this from the manufacturer?", I'm not sure, let me know the following:

- Is this Intel Optane Memory H10?

- If not, what type of Optane Memory is it?

- Please generate a system report using Intel SSU and attach it to this thread: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

I hope to hear from you soon

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MrMann
Novice

Thank-you for the thorough response.  Hopefully I can answer all your questions.

The drive is the hbrpeknx0202ah.  I understand it is H10.

I noticed that after I installed RST from the Intel site, system performance seriously declined.  Boot times went from ~10 seconds to ~50 seconds.  I reinstalled windows yet again instead of trying to figure out how to fully remove the RST drivers.

HP doesn't have any drivers for the 2004 Windows version yet and the older ones for 1909 or 1903 won't install failing on a version check.

There aren't any useful settings in the BIOS.  There's just a summary of the two drives under UEFI Configuration.  There is no CSM option, SATA mode, or remapping settings that I can find.

Honestly, I can't justify spending any more time (money) on this.  System performance is good as-is with a cold boot taking 10 seconds or less.

Just out of curiosity, can you say why it was configured this way when the drive is already PCIe NVMe?  

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @MrMann.

The device is configured as a 2-in-1 SSD to make use of both technologies, the QLC found in regular SSD (for storage) and the 3D Xpoint™ found in the Optane™ drives (for acceleration), this way there is no need to purchase a full blown 3D Xpoint™ drive (like the Intel® Optane™ SSD 800p) or having to take an extra M.2 port to install an Optane™ Memory for acceleration (saving space).

Of course, acceleration needs to be enabled in order for you to take advantage of the Optane™ Memory portion of the SSD, otherwise it is just a regular NVMe SSD, but I also understand your point about this whole 2-in-1 feature not being really necessary if this was just a normal drive (PCIe NVMe x4) working at full capacity.

Regarding the issue in question, there are no other recommendations I can provide, in this case the best option would be for you to contact the system manufacturer directly to check if they can provide you with detailed instructions on how to enable the Optane™ acceleration again, in case there is some type of adjustment required or specific driver.

I will proceed to close the thread for now, but if you require additional assistance or I can help you with anything else, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
MrMann
Novice

I got it working. 

Some sort of driver incompatibility with 2004.  I installed 1909 and was able to load all the HP drivers successfully and get Optane configured.  Then I upgraded to 2004 and everything seems to work now.  It was a royal pain.  Making things worse was the touch pad wouldn't work until 2004 was installed.  Again, some sort of driver issue with 1909.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @MrMann.

I'm really glad to hear that your were able to fix it and is working fine now, thank you very much for sharing your fix with us.

I have marked your message as the solution and will proceed to close the thread right now.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos