Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Optane Crashed While Disabling and Now Won’t Boot

jonathanwylie
Beginner

I have a 16GB Intel Optane Memory Stick. I disabled it because I wanted to remove it and add NVME storage instead. I opened the Intel app, clicked disable, and it started the process to disable it. I got to 100% of Part One, and then my PC crashed to a blue screen of death and now the PC won’t boot at all. I am not sure where to go from here, but sure would appreciate some suggestions. 

I have a file backup, but no system backup or recovery discs. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

I don't know if any of my suggestion will help, but you may try:

Try to boot into Windows in SAFE mode:

1.  Boot from your Windows 10 installation USB. If you don't have Windows Installation USB, prepare one, using Microsoft Media Creating Tool.
  2.  Select your language preferences and click/tap on Next.
  3.  Click/tap on Repair your computer at the bottom.
  4.  Click/tap on Troubleshoot.
  5.  Click/tap on Advanced options.
  6. Click on Command Prompt
  7. In the Command Prompt write the following command: bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal and press enter to execute this command
  8. Close the Command Prompt window by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the Command Prompt window.
  9.  Select Continue and sign in to Windows 
  10. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig
  11. Chose Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot.  Reboot your system. 

Try to fix the BCD:

1. Boot from your Windows 10 installation USB.
  2. Select your language preferences and click/tap on Next.
  3. Click/tap on Repair your computer at the bottom.
  4. Click/tap on Troubleshoot.
  5. Click/tap on Advanced options.
  6. Click on Command Prompt
  7. In the Command Prompt write the following command:
    Hit enter after each command:
    BOOTREC /FIXMBR
    BOOTREC /FIXBOOT
    BOOTREC /RebuildBcd
    sfc /scannow
    chkdsk c: /f /r
  1. Close the Command Prompt window by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the Command Prompt window.
  2. Select Continue and sign in to Windows

Try to restore the last working configuration:

1. Boot from your Windows 10 installation USB.
  2. Select your language preferences and click/tap on Next.
  3. Click/tap on Repair your computer at the bottom.
  4. Click/tap on Troubleshoot.
  5. Click/tap on Advanced options
  6.  Click/tap on System Restore (use a restore point recorder on your PC to restore Windows). 
  7.  If prompted, click/tap on an administrator and follow the instruction on screen. Select the restore point form the list. 
  8.  After few Nexts, click Finish confirmed by Yes - the restore will start. 
  9.  Your PC will now restart and perform a System Restore.  
  10. When the System Restore has completed successfully, click/tap on Restart.

Leon

jonathanwylie
Beginner

I appreciate the suggestions, but I can’t boot into safe mode. I can try the windows installation USB, but will that go to repair options or just install Windows 10 on top of my existing data?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Please read my post again. In all three suggestions I asked to boot from Windows Installation USB and click on Repair your computer option rather than Install. So, this is a try for repair, rather than clean installation over your data. If one of the option will work, your data will remain untouched.  The question only is if it will work?

Leon

jonathanwylie
Beginner
Ok. Will give it a shot. I have a case open with Intel about this but no suggestions from them yet…

Thanks for the options
0 Kudos
jonathanwylie
Beginner

Ok. I was on vacation, but finally got a chance to try these.

Option 1 does not work. The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found.

Some of option 2 worked, some did not. FIXBMR worked. FIXBOOT access is denied. RebuildPC scanned but did not not identify any windows installations. Sfc scan scanned but Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. 

Option 3 did not work. To use system restore you must specify which windows installation to restore. Restart the computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, jonathanwylie.

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community Support forums.

I noticed that you already have a support ticket open with one of our agents.

We will continue offering you Intel support via the other channel as there is an agent already working with you, so this thread will not be monitored for Intel support and will remain active/open in case other community members would like to participate or in case you would like to share further findings with the community.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos