Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Problem in HDD/Not functioning properly

FaizanRaza
Beginner
I have Acer aspire 3 a315-58 i3 11th gen windows 11 home laptop, and I have extended 1TB HDDof WD, it worked perfectly for nearly 7-8 months but then it started not responding, videos are not playing (buffering) but if I copy of move something it does at the speed of 70mbps. When I switch on my laptop it shows "Abnormal status reported by Rapid Storage Technology UEFI Driver" when I open it Intel optane memory and storage management application it shows" Your system is reporting one or more events, and data may be at risk. Refer to the details below for more information" below it shows "At Risk (SMART event)" when I click on it Event viewer opens and shows 'Event 7002 RST Middleware' and says "Disk is starting to degrade. New SMART event detected.
Source:RST Middleware
Event ID: 7002
Level: Warning"

Please someone help me out
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

These S.M.A.R.T. events are indications - from the drive itself - of a pending failure. You should back up your data on this drive and replace it as soon as possible.

Now, there is the possibility of false-positive notifications via RST. To be sure, do the following:

1. Make a backup of all data on the drive, just to be sure.
  2. Stop the caching of drive operations via the Optane module.
  3. Use a tool - best if from the drive manufacturer - that displays the S.M.A.R.T. status and attributes for the drive.
  4. If the S.M.A.R.T. status indicates an ongoing error or there is a S.M.A.R.T. attribute whose current value is indicating a problem, then do replace the drive immediately (if still in warranty period, call WD to have it replaced).

Hope this helps,

...S 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

These S.M.A.R.T. events are indications - from the drive itself - of a pending failure. You should back up your data on this drive and replace it as soon as possible.

Now, there is the possibility of false-positive notifications via RST. To be sure, do the following:

1. Make a backup of all data on the drive, just to be sure.
  2. Stop the caching of drive operations via the Optane module.
  3. Use a tool - best if from the drive manufacturer - that displays the S.M.A.R.T. status and attributes for the drive.
  4. If the S.M.A.R.T. status indicates an ongoing error or there is a S.M.A.R.T. attribute whose current value is indicating a problem, then do replace the drive immediately (if still in warranty period, call WD to have it replaced).

Hope this helps,

...S 

FaizanRaza
Beginner
So now, is my Hard Drive useless ?
Should I remove it from my pc?
0 Kudos
ARPANET
Beginner

when I look at Event Viewer there is a certain error that concerns me...
Disk is starting to degrade. New SMART event detected.
why would my drive be degrading if this is a new pc?
Disk model: SAMSUNG MZVLQ1T0HBLB-00BH1
Disk serial: S673NJ0T235283
event id 7002

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, FaizanRaza.

In this particular case, it would be better to use the tools provided by the HDD manufacturer (WD) to review its status or consult the manufacturer directly, as n_scott_pearson mentioned.

That way you can confirm if this SMART event is critical and a replacement is required, making use of the manufacturer's warranty if applicable.

Thank you for marking the thread as resolved, it will be closed on December 2nd if there is no confirmation about further assistance being required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

ARPANET
Beginner

when I look at Event Viewer there is a certain error that concerns me...
Disk is starting to degrade. New SMART event detected.
why would my drive be degrading if this is a new pc?
Disk model: SAMSUNG MZVLQ1T0HBLB-00BH1
Disk serial: S673NJ0T235283
event id 7002

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@ARPANET   Do not triple post.   Contact samsung for support with your samsung drive.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@ARPANET    Quaddruple posting is very bad.   Contact samsung for support of your samsung drive.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos