Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Problem with Intel Optane Memory (32GB)

RSmit25
Beginner

I have an Intel Optane Memory of 32 GB (it was already installed on my motherboard ( Z370 Aorus Gaming 7-OP), a Samsung SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB and a WD Black 2TB SATA3 7200rpm. I have the OS on the M.2 and I would like to accelerate my HDD which I use for games. I have installed Windows 10 in UEFI and SATA Mode Selection in AHCI instead of Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane Acceleration. Because I have readed that Intel RST is used for RAIDs. The problem appears when I try to activate Intel Optane, when I try to activate with SetUpOptaneMemory I get an error that says: The Intel Optane memory is not compatible with the system installed in the PCI Express (PCIe). I have read that Intel Optane can accelerate Secondary/Sata Drive, should I change the SATA Mode Selection to Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane Acceleration or this mode is only for RAIDs?

My CPU is an Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7GHz and my OS is Windows 10 Home 64bits.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to set it to Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane Acceleration. While it also supports the use of RAID, this mode is necessary to support Optane.

Note that changing the SATA Mode from AHCI to Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane Acceleration may require you to reinstall your O/S.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
RSmit25
Beginner

Thank you. I have other question the "Unllocated" space that you have to leave to install Intel Optane, do you have to create it on the M.2, which has the OS or on the HDD, which I want to accelerate. I mean, do you have to create it on the disk which has the OS or on the disk you want to accelerate?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Reggyx,

The unallocated space needs to be left in the drive that contains the OS. Even if you are looking to accelerate a secondary drive.

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
RSmit25
Beginner

Is Intel Optane installed correctly? It seems to be well configured but I have not left the "unallocated space" to the Samsung SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB that has the OS installed. Intel Optane is accelerating a secondary drive (WD Black 2TB SATA3 7200rpm) is there any way to check if it works correctly? Do not leaving the unallocated space on the Samsung SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2 that has the OS installed would affect the use of Intel Optane? I have another question: why it says in the System Volume: "NO", is this because it is accelerating a secondary disk?

0 Kudos
RSmit25
Beginner

If someone could tell me if it is properly installed Intel Optane with these captures would be very grateful, since I have not left the unallocated space on the disk where the OS is installed. I think Intel Optane's metadata was saved on the secondary disk.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Reggyx,

According to the images of RST you shared with me the Optane module is properly set up. Even if the system disk does not have free space. Have you tested the Optane module to accelerate your secondary disk? Does it work properly or does the acceleration shows any error?

Best Regards,

Juan N.

0 Kudos
RSmit25
Beginner

It's accelerating the secondary disk right now and I have not gotten any errors so far, I've even tried to deactivate it and turn it back on and it's still working. I did not allocate space to the secondary disk until it was accelerated by Intel Optane. Could it be that the Intel Optane's data was saved on the secondary disk?

Thanks for your answer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Reggyx,

Yes, that could be the reason why it is working fine. I will have this information noted and share with the engineering team.

Great to know it is working without any error.

Please let me know if you have any additional question.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Reggyx,

I would like to know if you have any additional question or feedback to provide regarding this issue.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos