Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Process for removing Optane M.2 module from Omen 15-dc1039tx laptop

1001100x02
Beginner

Hi.

I have a brand new laptop which lists its storage as "Intel Optane+477GB SSD". Cracking it open reveals the drive + a 32gb Optane m.2. Pulling the optane out prevents my computer from booting.

Does this mean the OS is installed on the Optane drive?

Is there a way to run a standard drive in the m.2 slot or do I have to do a complete wipe and reinstall everything along with my new m.2 (which I want to use as my boot drive)?

Conversely, what happens if I replace the current SSD with new 1TB one? I assume that's going to require a fresh windows install, but do I need to do anything extra if I want to keep the optane drive installed?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, do not remove the Optane module without first disabling it. This could result in the data on the HDD being lost completely. The Optane module is accelerating the performance of your HDD using a smart write-through caching algorithm and the fast memory on the Optane module. At any point in time, some number of write operations to the HDD may be cached and not yet performed on the HDD. Wiping these out without applying these operations could thus leave a corrupted mess on the HDD.

Answering your questions,

1. No, the OS is installed on the HDD but portions of it are cached in the Optane module. This is why the Optane Module and HDD appear as a single hybrid drive in the disk configuration.
  2. Yes, you can remove the Optane module and use a M.2 SSD in its place. You just won't have the acceleration of the HDD's performance. If you are purchasing one of the newer SSDs that has performance above that of the Optane module and you are using the HDD for the storage of only seldom-accessed files, then this may be a more optimal configuration to run. If you want to do this, (1) remember to disable the Optane module before removing it, (2) disable the Optane support in the BIOS (set SATA Mode to AHCI), (3) install OS onto new SSD (yes, you have to do this) and (4) once you have the OS booting off the SSD, delete the old OS files and file folders off the HDD.
  3. If you have a USB device that supports insertion of a M.2 NVMe SSD, you can use it to avoid having to reinstall the OS. Simply move (clone) the image from the existing SSD to the new SSD. If you don't have such a device, you will need to reinstall the OS from scratch.

Hope this helps,

...S

1001100x02
Beginner

Thanks for the answer.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage.html

Following the instructions in this video I eventually used the Optane control panel to disable the module, but when I was exploring my BIOS before hand unlike the video it offered the option to Disable rather than Deconcatenate. I assume that's simply an artefact of my BIOS setup (Aptio Setup Utility (c) 2019)?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Probably. Their nomenclature can vary significantly.

...S

0 Kudos
Sadhiq
Beginner
I disabled the Optane from BIOS on my HP Omen gaming laptop, but unfortunately the device won't turn on after I exit from the BIOS. Kindly support me...?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, you want to leave it enabled in BIOS and disable the Optane caching from within Windows using the Intel Memory & Storage Tool (iMAS).

...S

0 Kudos