Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1349 Discussions

Replacing Intel Optane 16gb with 32gb with high cpu usage issue.

Aleksei88
Beginner

Hello, dear Intel engineer!

I changed my Intel Optane Memory 16gb on Acer aspire 5 a515-52 laptop to Intel Optane Memory 32gb version. But after the replacement, there was a problem of high CPU usage of 30% or more by the "intel r optane tm memory service". I have tried the steps in this article https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056751/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html . Tried other possible driver reinstallations. Nothing helped me! But with 16gb memory, my laptop works well, this problem is only with the 32gb module. Please help solve the problem. Add file from SSU also.

Regards, Aleksei.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Aleksei88.

Thank you for all the information.

What we would recommend is to follow the guidelines provided by the system manufacturer.

If the system is not validated for other Optane Memory models or upgrades, there are no other recommendations we can provide beyond testing different drivers, and the 17.11 RSST driver is the latest we have for 8th Gen platforms, or you can check the website of the system manufacturer for the latest version they provide for that particular platform.

If you have other questions or comments, please let me know, but if that is not the case I will close the thread on July 3rd.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Aleksei,

Download and install the Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool and check if the Optane Memory firmware is updated.

Leon

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Aleksei88.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support Forums.

Additionally to what LeonWaksman metnioned about checking the Optane Memory firmware, if there is an update available, we recommended to disable the acceleration before performing this operation and enable it again after that, just in case.

Pleae also let me know the following:

1. Was the system pre-configured with the Optane Memory 16GB? or was it purchased separately?

2. What Intel RST driver version is currently installed?

- How to check this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031599/memory-and-storage.html

3. Have you tried to review this with the system manufacturer (ACER) in case they have any recommendations?

I will follow up on June 30th in case we do not hear from you.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Aleksei88
Beginner

Good evening.
I will answer your questions.
1. Yes, my laptop came with 16 GB pre-installed Intel Optane Memory.
2. Driver version: 17.11.3.1010
3. Acer support told me that "the description of this laptop does not indicate support for a 32GB module". This is all.

And further. Intel Optane Memory firmware update failed. Because it doesn't happen if memory is enabled. If I turn off the Intel Optane Memory, the system stops seeing the flash drive with the program. I did everything as in the instructions for updating the firmware.

That's all I have and I don't understand what the problem is.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Aleksei88.

Thank you for all the information.

What we would recommend is to follow the guidelines provided by the system manufacturer.

If the system is not validated for other Optane Memory models or upgrades, there are no other recommendations we can provide beyond testing different drivers, and the 17.11 RSST driver is the latest we have for 8th Gen platforms, or you can check the website of the system manufacturer for the latest version they provide for that particular platform.

If you have other questions or comments, please let me know, but if that is not the case I will close the thread on July 3rd.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Aleksei88.

This message is to inform you about the thread closure.

I previously shared that we recommend to follow the guidelines provided by the system manufacturer, as using other drivers may not fix the issue if they did not validate the use of a different Optane Memory in the system, taking laos into consideration that you have tested the latest drivers already.

The thread will be closed right now, and it will no longer be monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos