Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

Setup Optane Memory as cache for a RAID 5

Xenophon
Beginner

Hello,

I have a i7 9700k on an ASUS Z390-A Prime board with a WD SN750 1tb drive that has Windows 10 OS on it. I setup a RAID 5 with 4 sata hard drives. I purchased a Intel Optane Memory Module 16GB M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 20nm 3D Xpoint MEMPEK1W016GA which is an M10 series in hopes of making it my cache drive for the RAID 5 however when I open my Intel RST app product version 18.1.102.0 driver version 17.9.4.1017 it tells me "There are no valid disk pairs in your system". I have CSM turned off in my BIOS. I am not sure what other settings I need to look at or even if this will work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't get there from here. Optane modules can only be used to cache/accelerate a single drive. The documentation states, "Intel® Optane™ memory devices are not storage devices, so they cannot be used to set up RAID volumes nor to accelerate them. However, an Intel® Optane™ memory volume can reside in the same system as a RAID volume."
Sorry,
...S

View solution in original post

1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't get there from here. Optane modules can only be used to cache/accelerate a single drive. The documentation states, "Intel® Optane™ memory devices are not storage devices, so they cannot be used to set up RAID volumes nor to accelerate them. However, an Intel® Optane™ memory volume can reside in the same system as a RAID volume."
Sorry,
...S