Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Windows Boot Manager only boot option in BIOS?

JMent
Novice

I just set up my PC with Optane memory. I performed a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit 1607 using GPT and UEFI. After installing the required software and enabling the Optane memory "Windows Boot Manager Intel Data Volume" is the only boot option listed in my BIOS. I don't see my DVD-RW. If I insert the USB thumb drive with the Windows 10 installation on it the BIOS does list that. That USB drive has a GPT UEFI format.

My concern is that if the BIOS doesn't recognize my DVD-RW I won't be able to use the Windows repair disc. Is there a setting I need to adjust in my BIOS for the DVD-RW to be seen as a boot device? Or is this a function of the BIOS configured for UEFI that the CD drive isn't available as a boot device? I suppose I could configure another USB thumb drive as GPT and UEFI and install the repair disk on that?

Thanks for any advice or information!

John

System info:

GA-Z270-HDP3 motherboard

i7-7700 processor

Optiarc AD-7240S DVD-RW

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello JohnfromNH,

We understand you have recently set up your computer using Intel® Optane™ Memory. After which you're no longer able to detect your system's optical disk drive (or select it as a boot device).

Please keep in mind that we don't provide support for third-party hardware, and this is not an expected issue for Optane™ Memory installations. However we can make the following suggestions:

- Unplug your DVD-RW drive, then plug it back in making sure all connectors to your motherboard and power supply are clean and properly attached.

- Check your optical drive's documentation to make sure it is able to work in UEFI mode. Some devices will only function in legacy/CSM (compatibility support module) mode.

- Contact your motherboard manufacturer for further troubleshooting if issue persists. It's possible that some BIOS settings may need to be changed for your optical drive to serve as a boot device.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JMent
Novice

Just wanted to clarify that my issue is NOT a result of the installation and use of Optane memory. It IS a result of using an older optical drive on a UEFI BIOS.

I did figure out there is a way in Windows 10 to create a recovery drive on a GPT/UEFI formatted USB flash drive.

At this point I don't know if it's worth putting any more effort in trying to configure my system to boot from the DVD-RW since I have everything I need on USB.