Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Intel Memory and Storage Tool (IMAS) Crashes Upon Launch ManagedTDK.dll

JRox0
Novice

I've installed a 900P SSD in my W10 PC and then installed the latest version of Intel MAS GUI. Yet, I'm having difficulty launching the application as it crashes a few seconds after the "Intel Inside" logo is presented. The crash dialogue states "IMAS_GUI has stopped working."

Windows Event Viewer records Faulting application name: IntelMAS_GUI.exe, version: 1.10.153.0, Faulting module name: ManagedTDK.dll.

Checking the IMAS logs path has a log file for each attempted program launch but each one only has a one line entry that reads "[flow] Running IMAS GUI logger"

I have the latest BIOS and fully updated W10.  I updated to the latest firmware for this 900P via the boot ISO method instead and also installed the latest Intel Client NVMe driver.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Intel MAS GUI and even tried it with a fresh Windows 10 image just in case something was corrupt with my Windows 10.

What additional steps can I take to get Intel MAS working?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, JRox0.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support Forums.

I received your case regarding this strange IMAS behavior, I will be glad to assist you.

There are no additional steps you should take in order to run it, it should open normally after installing it, and I did not encounter this problem either. I would normally recommend making sure you are running it as administrator and confirm there are no applications blocking it, but you have even reinstalled the OS.

Have you tried with the previous release?, the IMAS version 1.9?

Go to the downloads page and click the dropdown menu to select 1.9 from the menu:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19543/30557/intel-memory-and-storage-tool-gui.html

I would also like to know fi you can provide us with a full system report using Intel SSU:

Download: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

2. Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

I will follow up on August 26th or you can let me know if additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JRox0
Novice

I appreciate the help.  I installed IMAS 1.9 as you suggested and it installs fine, yet launching it presents the same error and IMAS_GUI_Logs and Windows Event Viewer application log records the same ManagedTDK.dll error.  Attached is the requested report.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, JRox0.

Good day,

Thank you very much for the information.

Please allow me to check if there is anything else we can try.

I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, JRox0.

Thank you very much for waiting.

We have tested the two versions in a few different systems and were not able to reproduce this error.

Have you tried running the CLI version of Intel MAS?

Open a command prompt as administrator and navigate to the Intel MAS folder, for example:

• CD C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Memory and Storage Tool

Then use the commands below.

Please let me know if you also encounter problems running the CLI version.

I will follow up on August 30th, but you can let me know if additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
JRox0
Novice

That CLI command does return valid info as follows.

intelmas show -intelssd 

- 5 Intel Optane(TM) SSD 900P Series PHM2810501BQ280AGN -

Bootloader : EB3B0438
Capacity : 280.07 GB
DevicePath : \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE6
DeviceStatus : Healthy
Firmware : E2010480
FirmwareUpdateAvailable : The selected drive contains current firmware as of this tool release.
Index : 5
MaximumLBA : 547002287
ModelNumber : INTEL SSDPE21D280GA
NamespaceId : 1
PercentOverProvisioned : 100.00
ProductFamily : Intel Optane(TM) SSD 900P Series
SMARTEnabled : True
SectorDataSize : 512
SerialNumber : PHM2810501BQ280AGN

I have no doubt the GUI is working on whatever OS / PCs you might have.  Yet, obviously users like myself can run into this crashing MAS problem for lack of necessary dependencies or who knows what.

There has got to be a means of more useful logging of this application to discern why  it's crashing on launch.  Does the GUI application have a verbose flag that can be set?

Does the CLI application have a command that can be used to investigate why the GUI application is crashing upon launch?

I'm not on a domain and my testing has been with an admin user.  

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, JRox0.

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me to review what options we have and I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, JRox0.

Thank you very much for waiting.

It will be necessary for you to review this issue with Microsoft as there is no additional debugging or troubleshooting we can provide.

Two different versions of the same tool fail to open in your system and in this case the OS developer/manufacturer is better suited to find out the reason why the application cannot be executed properly, or what could possibly be missing in your system in order to open them.

The thread will be closed right now, but if we can assist you with something else in the future, you can always contact us back.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos