Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool

Optane 900p - Controller Busy Time

ROwen
Beginner

Admins, Tech's, I've Owned the 480GB version of the 900p Optane PCIe AIC SSD for about a week and have noticed the "Controller Busy Time" in the S.M.A.R.T details has increased from 0 to 2. Yesterday this value was at 1.

Is this something I need to be concerned about?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi ROWENS,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your concern regarding the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series.

We would like to inform you that the "Controller Busy Time" means the following:

"Contains the amount of time the controller is busy with I/O commands. The controller is busy when there is a command outstanding to an I/O Queue (specifically, a command was issued by way of an I/O Submission Queue Tail doorbell write and the corresponding completion queue entry has not been posted yet to the associated I/O Completion Queue). This value is reported in minutes."

Based on that, it is normal and expected that the value increases since it is reported in minutes.

Please let us know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Junior M.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi ROWENS,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your concern regarding the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series.

We would like to inform you that the "Controller Busy Time" means the following:

"Contains the amount of time the controller is busy with I/O commands. The controller is busy when there is a command outstanding to an I/O Queue (specifically, a command was issued by way of an I/O Submission Queue Tail doorbell write and the corresponding completion queue entry has not been posted yet to the associated I/O Completion Queue). This value is reported in minutes."

Based on that, it is normal and expected that the value increases since it is reported in minutes.

Please let us know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
ROwen
Beginner

Thank you for the reply Junior M. So it sounds like this was from maybe running a HDD benchmark, AS SSD to be exact. I can live with that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ROWENS,

Thanks for the reply.

We are glad to hear that we were able to answer your concern.

If you have further questions then feel free to contact us again.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos