Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

So about this Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series ...

GNah
Beginner

I understand that Optane memory helps HDD be more responsive so that is a possible upgrade route for folks.

1) Is Optane Memory useful (recommended) if you have SSD and and HDD?

2) Where does this new Optane SSD fit into the picture if one already has a SSD or SSD/HDD in their system?

3) Let's say one were to build a reasonably-priced system ($2,000 USD max) around the idea of using an Optane SSD, what current MOBO, CPU, RAM (additional SSD or HDD?) would be ideal?

THANKS!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CChen146
Novice

according to my knowledge

1. no

2. if you have a Samsung EVO or PRO 850 or 960 or same level SSD, you don't need Optane

3. P900 only run with 8th Gen CPU, so you need Z370 MOBO. So the option is limited.

it is more like a future prove drive.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CChen146
Novice

according to my knowledge

1. no

2. if you have a Samsung EVO or PRO 850 or 960 or same level SSD, you don't need Optane

3. P900 only run with 8th Gen CPU, so you need Z370 MOBO. So the option is limited.

it is more like a future prove drive.

GNah
Beginner

Thanks! Your thought were my thoughts, based on my research the past 2 days, and I appreciate the confirmation.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Gyun,

Keep in mind that the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900p is a really fast drive as it runs through PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4.

For the computer specs, you may want to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025741/memory-and-storage/enthusiast-ssds.html check this link with that information.

Please let us know if you have any other question.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
JMass4
Beginner

1. If your SSD is more than 3 years old, you may want too due to endurace. The 900P lasts 10 times as long and will likely follow your through 2 or more major upgrades.

2. For most games you won't see much as they aren't designed to take advantage of it anyway. Some future games (like Star Citizen) will leverage the throughput and may become noticeable/advantageous.

3. The Requirements of the drive can be found here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025741/memory-and-storage/enthusiast-ssds.html System Requirements for an Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series Drive

Please note that there is no Intel X gen requirement as these are not Cache drives like the earlier released M.2 Optane 'drive'. As long as your system supports UEFI 2.3.1 or later and has an available PCIe 3.0 4x slot (or U.2 slot) you are pretty much good to go.

GNah
Beginner

Thanks.

Let's talk specifics for use in a MSI X99A TOMAHAWK.

0 Kudos
JMass4
Beginner

Taken directly from the manual itself :

1x M.2 slot (Key M) Supports up to PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s

Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices

1x U.2 port Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe storage

1x SATAe port (compatible with 2 SATA ports) Supports up to PCIe 2.0x2

Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology

So you can either connect via U.2, the M.2 with the M.2 to U.2 adapter, or native PCIe as the bios supports PCIe 3.0 4x via UEFI. Just make sure you have the latest bios version.

0 Kudos