Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
439 Discussions

Suppress SMART event, data may be at risk

milan_morte
Beginner
The warning 'your system is reporting one or more warnings, and data may be at risk' is popping up on my notification bar. On opening the Intel RST and suppressing the SMART Event, the warning goes off, but comes back when I turn ON my system again. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, milan_morte.

Thank you for the details, that is what we needed to confirm.

In this case, the device triggering the SMART event is your Toshiba HDD, so there must be something going on with the unit, and this is why the alerts keeps showing up.

You can try contacting the HDD manufacturer for assistance on how to properly diagnose the device, as the Intel Memory and Storage Tool is only designed to work with Intel Optane products, and it shows the Intel optane Memory is fine, so this is no longer related to Intel

I'm not sure if this is the correct link, but you can try this one:

- https://storage.toshiba.com/consumer-hdd/support

If there is anything else I can try to do for you, or you have any other questions, please let us know, but if that is not the case I will close this community thread on August 31st.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @milan_morte

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

1.      When did the issue start?

2.      Have you noticed any patterns?

3.      Did you install or update any software recently?

4.      Have you experienced any hardware changes?

5.      Does the warning message provide any codes or details?

6.      Have you checked the event logs?

7.      Is the Intel RST software up to date?

Also, please provide us with an SSU report. Please download and scan your system using our tool, Intel® System Support Utility so we can help check your system info first. Once finished downloading, open the tool, click on scan 'Everything', click next, then save the system information to a .txt file. Please provide the .txt file.

This document will be necessary to check your entire system, in order to find possible errors or incompatibilities.

And please follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this article: Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management Application Shows Message "At risk (SMART event)"

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
milan_morte
Beginner

Thankyou for reaching out to me.

This issue started a couple days ago and I don't remember installing any software with in the past 1 or 2 weeks.

There is no any hardware changes as well.

Screenshot (21).png

Here is the detailed info that I got from event log.

 Log Name: Application
Source: IAStorDataMgrSvc
Date: 8/24/2023 10:07:54 AM
Event ID: 7002
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-TATVATN
Description:
SATA disk on Controller 0, Port 0: At risk (SMART event).
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="IAStorDataMgrSvc" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">7002</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-08-24T07:07:54.7523053Z" />
<EventRecordID>60303</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="16012" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-TATVATN</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>SATA disk on Controller 0, Port 0: At risk (SMART event).</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @milan_morte

Thank you for your reply. We appreciate all the information provided.

Have you had a chance to look at the troubleshooting article we shared earlier? Did you give all the steps in that article a shot? It's really important to make sure you've covered those steps before you move on to trying something else. Could you please update us on whether you've gone through all the steps in the article, what results you got, and what your next steps were in the troubleshooting process?

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
milan_morte
Beginner

I haven't gone through any troubleshooting process. because it is kinda a little bit confusing for me how am I gonna do that. if you could, would you clearly show me step by step process that show how could I go through those troubleshooting process. 

To be specific I am using HDD hard drive.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is a known issue that the RST subsystem may generate the odd spurious S.M.A.R.T. failure predictions. Seeing such an event occurring with regularity would have me concerned that this is NOT spurious and that you have a drive that is actually in trouble. In this case, you should be backing up the data stored on this drive and replacing this drive soonest.

Unfortunately, each drive vendor has their own interpretation of many of the S.M.A.R.T. attributes and what attribute and attribute values will be used to predict an imminent drive failure. As a result, it is impossible for the Intel tool to interpret all attributes in its display. You should thus be using the appropriate software from the drive vendor to display this information.

In any case, I would say that it is NOT a smart idea (pun intended) to disable the alerting of S.M.A.R.T. events.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @milan_morte

Thank you for your reply.

This message indicates a problem with SSD, Intel® Optane™ Memory, or their interaction with the system. Likely due to storage device issues or application's failure to detect expected volumes.

Given that you are using HDD, we will follow that process in the article:

For SSDs and HDDs:

• Some system and SSD manufacturers have included an option to test and fix SSD integrity.

Basically:

·        Check BIOS Option: Access BIOS, find SSD test option, enable if available.

·        Use Vendor Tool: Download official SSD diagnostic tool from manufacturer's site.

·        Windows Utilities: Search "Check and Repair System Disk Drives," follow instructions.

·        Run Tests: Execute chosen method, let tests finish.

·        Follow Repair Steps: If issues are found, follow tool prompts for repair.

·        Verify: Rerun tests to confirm resolution.

As @n_scott_pearson said, please try using the appropriate software from the drive vendor to display this information.

·        Which software are you using to create the RAID?

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
milan_morte
Beginner

Sorry for the confusion, my computer uses 1TB HDD storage + 16 GB Intel® Optane™ Memory. 

And I have tried to go through the steps below: 

1. Once the Intel® Optane™ Memory is disabled access Command Prompt and clean the Intel® Optane™ Memory.
    1. Open an Administrator Command Prompt. (Click on the start menu icon, type Command Prompt and select Run as administrator).
    2. Type diskpart and press Enter.
    3. Type list disk to display a list of your connected storage devices. Here you should be able to see the Intel Optane memory module. Note the disk number.
    4. Type Select Disk # and press Enter. Make sure to adjust to match the disk number displayed for your module.
    5. Type Clean and press Enter. Diskpart will proceed to low-level format the memory module. Once the command completes the command prompt may be closed.

But, I am getting this error: 

"Virtual Disk Service error:
Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot,
system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume."

What should I do?

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @milan_morte

Thank you for your reply.

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @milan_morte

Thank you for your patience.

Based on our investigation, we suspect that the problem is with the unit, so we need to refer the case to the appropriate department for better support.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
milan_morte
Beginner

I am unsure whether this information will be of assistance, but I have been encountering the problems that I have provided in the attached screenshot recently. Additionally, my computer has been exhibiting an unusual slowdown, progressively becoming slower over time. On occasion, I find myself waiting for up to five minutes before my computer responds to any actions I attempt to perform.

Thankyou in advance.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, milan_morte.

I received your ticket regarding this particular issue with the SMART event, and I will be assisting you with this.

In this specific scenario, similarly to what n_scott_pearson and IsaacQ already mentioned, the best course of action is to confirm what is triggering this SMART event and what device it is coming from, and to do this, we must check the status of both storage devices: your Optane Memory and HDD.

Based on your last comment from this morning, I'm not sure if you managed to disable Optane Memory or not before trying to erase/clear the Optane, looks so please let me know what its current status is.

Disabling Optane Memory is important because erasing or removing it from the system may cause your current Windows installation to stop functioning, and also because we cannot properly diagnose each separate storage device when they are paired together as "Optane+HDD".

Here you can find information on how to disable the Optane Memory acceleration of the HDD, once this is done, both storage devices will be recognized separately and you can proceed to clean/erase the Optane using the steps previously provided:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

After they are no longer paired, you can check the health status of the Optane Memory using the Intel Memory and Storage Tool:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19543/intel-memory-and-storage-tool-gui.html

The user guide is available on the same page, and here you can check how to review the SMART attributes of the drive:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056580/memory-and-storage/ssd-management-tools.html

To check the health status of the HDD you will need to check with the HDD manufacturer.

If no problems are found, you can proceed to enable acceleration again using the Optane Memory and Storage Management software.

Regarding your most recent message and screenshots, those are Windows security settings not related to Intel, if you need information about that you will need to contact Microsoft.

Keep in mind that having a backup of your information is always recommended in case any critical system component fails.

I will follow up on August 30th just in case additional time is required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
milan_morte
Beginner

Hello, 

I managed to disable the Intel Optane Memory.

milan_morte_1-1693070680763.png

As per your suggestion, I used the Intel Memory and Storage Tool to check the health status of the memory. I have attached the XML files that I exported after following the steps.

1. Download the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool GUI.
  2. Select the SMART option on the left panel.
  3. Select the drive in the drop down at the top right.
  4. The SMART attributes will be displayed in the tool's window. To export the information click the Blue Export button 

Next, I followed these steps: 

Intel® Memory and Storage Tool CLI (Command-Line Interface)

Download and Install the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool CLI (Command-Line Interface)

1. Open the operating system command line interface:
    1. [Windows*] Open Command Prompt as Administrator

1. Click Windows Start

2. Type Command Prompt

3. Click on Run as administrator

2. [Linux*] Open Terminal with root privileges

1. Press CTRL + ALT + T

2. Type sudo su

1. Ensure the command line interface begins with # and not $; as this indicates user has root privileges

2. List SSD information and take note of the Index number of the drive(s).

Type intelmas.exe show -intelssd

3. Display SMART attributes for the drive using the Index number.

Type intelmas.exe show -nvmelog smarthealthinfo -intelssd <ssd_index>

HERE IS WHAT I FOUND:

C:\Windows\System32>intelmas.exe show -intelssd

- 0 SSD X8BLP5XCT -

Capacity : 931.51 GB (1,000,204,886,016 bytes)
DevicePath : \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
DeviceStatus : Unknown
Firmware : JU001C
Index : 0
MaximumLBA : 1953525167
ModelNumber : TOSHIBA MQ04ABF100
SMARTEnabled : True
SectorDataSize : 512
SerialNumber : X8BLP5XCT

- 1 Intel Optane(TM) Memory M10 Series BTBT83340Y5E016N -

Bootloader : JFCB1419
Capacity : 13.41 GB (14,403,239,936 bytes)
DevicePath : \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1
DeviceStatus : Healthy
Firmware : K4110400
FirmwareUpdateAvailable : No known update for SSD. If an update is expected, please contact your SSD Vendor representative about firmware update for this drive.
Index : 1
MaximumLBA : 28131327
ModelNumber : INTEL MEMPEK1J016GAH
NamespaceId : 1
PercentOverProvisioned : 100.00
ProductFamily : Intel Optane(TM) Memory M10 Series
SMARTEnabled : True
SectorDataSize : 512
SerialNumber : BTBT83340Y5E016N

C:\Windows\System32>intelmas.exe show -nvmelog smarthealthinfo -intelssd 0
Error: Invalid log name specified.

C:\Windows\System32>

when I tried to run this command "intelmas.exe show -nvmelog smarthealthinfo -intelssd 0" there is "Error: Invalid log name specified." error coming up.

what should I do next?

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, milan_morte.

Thank you for the details, that is what we needed to confirm.

In this case, the device triggering the SMART event is your Toshiba HDD, so there must be something going on with the unit, and this is why the alerts keeps showing up.

You can try contacting the HDD manufacturer for assistance on how to properly diagnose the device, as the Intel Memory and Storage Tool is only designed to work with Intel Optane products, and it shows the Intel optane Memory is fine, so this is no longer related to Intel

I'm not sure if this is the correct link, but you can try this one:

- https://storage.toshiba.com/consumer-hdd/support

If there is anything else I can try to do for you, or you have any other questions, please let us know, but if that is not the case I will close this community thread on August 31st.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
milan_morte
Beginner

Hello,

Thankyou for your assistance. 

As you see in the screenshoot, I disabled Intel® Optane™ Memory. Should I enable it or what?

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, milan_morte.

You can enable it again if you are not concerned about the SMART event or you already confirmed there are no problems, I'd say you can enable it again, but it would be good to confirm what the reason for the SMART event is or confirm with the manufacturer just in case.

If there are other questions, please let me know, and I will follow up on September 1st to provide additional time.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, milan_morte.

Good day,

I wanted to follow up on this thread to confirm if we can help you with anything else.

I will follow up again on September 6th before closing the thread if there is no confirmation.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, milan_morte.

Good day,

This message is to inform you about the closure of this support thread since there was no response from your part after I tried to follow up.

I previously shared that it is necessary to confirm the status of the Optane and HDD to confirm if other actions are necessary, and in this case with the SMART event being triggered by the HDD the best option was to confirm its health status first before enabling acceleration again, but there was no response and further questions did not take place.

The thread will be closed right now, and it will no longer be monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos