Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool

Upgrade my laptop hard disk

Nadim1
Beginner
Hello, please I need your help to replace my laptop Hard disk, I have (OMEN HP LAPTOP 15-DC0001NX ALL)
I have a problem and sent it to service center and they said that the hard disk is damaged and they will replace it by 1TB SSD Hard Disk and they will charge me more than the market price of any SSD multiply by 3, so I decided to change it myself.

I found aome videos on YouTube but didn't find anything about my specific laptop and need your help please.

I don't know if I must change the attachment 1 (intel optane PCIe...) or 2 (HGST SATA 6.0Gb...) or both and what should I replace them with?

I really appreciate your support and many thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Nadim1.

Thank you for posting on the Intel community Support Forums.

I received your ticket regarding the SSD replacement for a system that used to have Optane Memory, and I will be reviewing this with you.

In this particular case, with this being an HP system, the best option would be to review with them what possible replacement options you have, or specific drives they can recommend.

Since your system had an Optane Memory (M.2) plus HDD (SATA 2.5") setup , what I can share is the following:

1. Both units you showed in the pictures can be replaced, so you can take them both out of the system. The Optane Memory (blue) was used to accelerate the other one (HDD), but there is no point in keeping it if you are going to purchase a more recent drive.

2. Based on those units, you can look for an M.2 NVMe SSD to replace the Optane, and another SATA 2.5inch SSD (or HDD) to replace the failed HDD.

The best option would be getting a good M.2 NVMe SSD to install the operating system on it, and then use the other disk as secondary storage, but depending on your budget you may just replace one of them.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I will follow on September 6th in case you need additional time.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Nadim1.

I wanted to follow up on this thread in case you had any questions regarding my previous message.

The thread will be closed on September 9th if there is no confirmation about further assistance being required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Nadim1.

This message is to follow up on this thread regarding the possible SSD upgrade for your system.

I previously mentioned that the best option is to review with the system manufacturer (HP) any possible upgrade you can perform on the system along with any recommendations they can provide to accomplish this, and I also shared some general information on the storage components that can help you get a better understanding of the current drives.

The thread will be closed right now and no longer monitored by Intel support since there was no confirmation about further assistance being required. If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, please open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos