Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16679 Discussions

Async FIFO 2 Clock code advice - VHDL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I want to ask if someone can advice me an Async FIFO with 2 clocks code in VHDL that works. I know Xilinx provide already build in FIFO IP core, but since I want possibility to migrate my code also to other devices I need a code that I can easy port. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera have a DC fifo megafunction. You can generate one with the Megawizard/ipcatalogue or manually instatiate one yourself (if you are familiar with using the altera_mf_components library and reading the documentation). 

If you need code that is compilable on both altera and Xilinx, you have 2 options: 

1. Make a wrapper around the dc fifo/xilinx fifo that uses a generic to differentiate the manufacturere) 

2. Write your own DC fifo (you need to be really careful how you cross the clock domains). 

The first option may be the easiest.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for you answer. But I need the possibilty to use this code also with devices not from Xilinx or Altera. The second option have a problem that I can't really know if my code will be without errors or optimized. So I ask if someone have an opensource Async FIFO.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You could try opencores.org

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos