Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16639 Discussions

Cyclone III Starter Kit and OpenCL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Greetings, 

I have a modest Cyclone III Starter Kit w/ USB i/f that I had used in the past for adding custom instructions to the NiosII processor. 

While I have OpenCL/Cuda experience on Gpu, OpenCL on FPGA is new to me. i prefer not to use an emulator. Can I use the Cyclone III Starter Kit for OpenCL development? If not, does the board have to be a PCI connected board to get full functionality? I prefer to use a USB connected board (w/ my laptop) even though USB is slower than PCI, if I will not be missing out on any functionality. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I only have experience with the Cyclone V, but I guess a this should be similar: 

You will probably not get around using the emulator from time to time. Compiling an OpenCL kernel for the FPGA takes a lot of time. For me it's usually around 2 hours. The emulator lets you get around that and lets you test the functionality of your kernels without the long wait. If this does not apply to the Cyclone III, someone please correct me.
0 Kudos