Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

EYE Q feature

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm confused whether the eye pattern we get through eyeq feature is the plot of the BER values or is that the plot of analog value settings.:confused::confused:

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Based on my understanding, the plot should be of analog values. However, there is no detail on the corresponding volt value for each step in EyeQ currently.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the device that you are using? Just to add note that in the V generation, only Arria V GZ and Stratix V support 2D EyeQ. In the Stratix IV, only 1D EyeQ is supported.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By the way, just to add that you can use transceiver toolkit to help plot the EyeQ in the toolkit GUI.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

V generation EyeQ plot is generally used for relative comparison to find the best PMA settings. You can compare the EyeQ plot for different set of settings and select the best.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi nic, i'm using transceiver toolkit itself and the board i am using is Stratix V. Can we automate this process of taking up various values, comparing them up and selecting the best set values through TCL. If yes, how should i start that.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are two EyeQ modes: 

- In 1-dimensional mode (also known as bathtub) you can set horizontal offset and get error and tested bit counter values 

- In 2-dimensional mode (also known as 2D eye scan) you can set horizontal and vertical offsets and get error and tested bit counter values 

The measurements are done for fixed PMA settings. 

Thanks, 

Evgeni
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi nic, i'm using transceiver toolkit itself and the board i am using is Stratix V. Can we automate this process of taking up various values, comparing them up and selecting the best set values through TCL. If yes, how should i start that. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

By default, when you enable the Auto-sweep feature in the transceiver toolkit with Stratix V device. It will sweep through the range of PMA settings that you have specify and auto prompt you the best value. The comparison will be done by toolkit automatically. You will just need to wait for the sweep completion and take down the best value as reported.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1. Though auto sweep feature is working well, the report it generates will have thousands of values ,sometimes more than that. How can I choose best set of values among them. Is there any way to sort the report. 

2. When I run eye-q feature it is not showing any eye pattern but throws an error “ 2d eye boundary not found”. What exactly this means?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you have the XCVR toolkit GUI opened when the auto sweep is running, there should be a "best" setting beside each parameter displayed.

0 Kudos