Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16621 Discussions

Fitter Failed--Quartus II- Version 12.0-- Total Memory Bits usage 0%, LE usage 1232%

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am trying to synthesis a 2KB Ram( with 1024 locations and 16 bit data respectively), in VHDL using Quartus 2 version 12.0 in a 32 bit windows 7 operating system. 

I am getting message as flow failed, and getting error as cannot fit design, and from the report, what I understand is the tool is trying to compile the design using LE's instead of block rams. Is there any way or option that I can change in the tool, and hence use total memory bits, instead of LEs?. 

Here is the report that I am getting. 

Flow Status Flow Failed - Mon Feb 16 16:51:05 2015 

Quartus II 32-bit Version 12.0 Build 232 07/05/2012 SP 1 SJ Web Edition 

Revision Name ping_pong_buffer 

Top-level Entity Name ping_pong_buffer 

Family Cyclone II 

Device EP2C5F256I8 

Timing Models Final 

Total logic elements 56,779 / 4,608 ( 1232 % ) 

Total combinational functions 24,009 / 4,608 ( 521 % ) 

Dedicated logic registers 32,826 / 4,608 ( 712 % ) 

Total registers 32826 

Total pins 33 / 158 ( 21 % ) 

Total virtual pins 0 

Total memory bits 0 / 119,808 ( 0 % ) 

Embedded Multiplier 9-bit elements 0 / 26 ( 0 % ) 

Total PLLs 0 / 2 ( 0 % ) 

Thanks, 

Manoj
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to copy one of the patterns that correctly infer ram. 

Things like resets or latching the read data on a different clock can cause LEs to be used instead of ram.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sounds like you didnt follow the template for ram inference, or you did something that a ram cannot do (like reset its contents). 

Why not post the code so we can have a look?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Sounds like you didnt follow the template for ram inference, or you did something that a ram cannot do (like reset its contents).Why not post the code so we can have a look? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello Tricky and DSL,Thanks for your reply. Here is my code. I am trying to create a ping-pong buffer( two memories of size 2KB each. Which asserts an interrupt when one of the memories is full). I am attaching my code here with in a notepad file. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The main problem comes because you didnt register the read address for the ram.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The main problem comes because you didnt register the read address for the ram. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello Tricky, 

What do you mean by "didn't register the read address for the ram"?. I am sorry, but I am not able to understand that. Can you please elaborate a bit more on that?. 

Thanks for your time. 

Regards, 

Manoj
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you use the addr input without registering it first. To infer rams, they require you to have registered read address. 

As a beginner, you would probably be better off learning out to use a RAM by generating one from the megawizard.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

you use the addr input without registering it first. To infer rams, they require you to have registered read address. As a beginner, you would probably be better off learning out to use a RAM by generating one from the megawizard. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you. It worked, after registering the read address. 

Kind Regards, 

Manoj
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried using the megawizard first, but it gave me a bunch of signals and statements which I couldn't comprehend. I will dig more into megawizard, and use it. 

Thanks, 

Manoj
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Read the ROM and RAM user guide: 

http://www.altera.co.uk/literature/ug/ug_ram_rom.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Read the ROM and RAM user guide: http://www.altera.co.uk/literature/ug/ug_ram_rom.pdf 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you.
0 Kudos