Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16624 Discussions

How to cut clock speed in half?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Im using the latest web edition of Quartus II and am only a few days old to Verilog HDL. I have been able to program the Cyclone II FPGA to blink an LED, woohoo! I am now trying to use some other code that is the beginning of creating a VGA signal. My problem is that the example code that im using to create H and V sync is designed for a 25mhz processor and my board is using a 50mhz crystal. What do I need to change about the 'input clk' command to cut the clock rate in half? 

Thanks 

Jason 

module hvsync_generator(clk, vga_h_sync, vga_v_sync, inDisplayArea, CounterX, CounterY); input clk; output vga_h_sync, vga_v_sync; output inDisplayArea; output CounterX; output CounterY; ////////////////////////////////////////////////// reg CounterX; reg CounterY; wire CounterXmaxed = (CounterX==10'h2FF); always @(posedge clk) if(CounterXmaxed) CounterX <= 0; else CounterX <= CounterX + 1; always @(posedge clk) if(CounterXmaxed) CounterY <= CounterY + 1; reg vga_HS, vga_VS; always @(posedge clk) begin vga_HS <= (CounterX==6'h2D); // change this value to move the display horizontally vga_VS <= (CounterY==500); // change this value to move the display vertically end reg inDisplayArea; always @(posedge clk) if(inDisplayArea==0) inDisplayArea <= (CounterXmaxed) && (CounterY<480); else inDisplayArea <= !(CounterX==639); assign vga_h_sync = ~vga_HS; assign vga_v_sync = ~vga_VS; endmodule
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

One way would be to use a PLL to produce a 25 MHz clock from the 50 MHz clock. Check the megafunctions. 

Another good way would be to use a clock enable. 

reg clk_enable; 

always @ (posedge clk) clk_enable <= ! clk_enable; 

^^ enable is "1" just for every other clock 

Then you wrap arround every piece of code you need to run at 25 MHz like this 

always @ (posedge clk)  

begin 

if (clk_enable) begin 

// Your code goes here 

end 

end
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the help. Is the below code then the correct usage of your second suggestion? Or could I inefficiently run the entire code at 25mhz as that is all that is needed and perhaps easier? 

module hvsync_generator(clk, vga_h_sync, vga_v_sync, inDisplayArea, CounterX, CounterY); input clk; output vga_h_sync, vga_v_sync; output inDisplayArea; output CounterX; output CounterY; ////////////////////////////////////////////////// reg clk_enable; ADDED LINE always @ (posedge clk) clk_enable <= ! clk_enable; ADDED LINE reg CounterX; reg CounterY; wire CounterXmaxed = (CounterX==10'h2FF); always @(posedge clk) if(CounterXmaxed) CounterX <= 0; else CounterX <= CounterX + 1; always @(posedge clk) if(CounterXmaxed) CounterY <= CounterY + 1; reg vga_HS, vga_VS; always @(posedge clk) begin if (clk_enable) begin ADDED LINE vga_HS <= (CounterX==6'h2D); // change this value to move the display horizontally vga_VS <= (CounterY==500); // change this value to move the display vertically end ADDED LINE end reg inDisplayArea; always @(posedge clk) if(inDisplayArea==0) inDisplayArea <= (CounterXmaxed) && (CounterY<480); else inDisplayArea <= !(CounterX==639); assign vga_h_sync = ~vga_HS; assign vga_v_sync = ~vga_VS; endmodule
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can u please send me your verilog code for blinking led

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Another idea is to use an enable and "enable" it on every other other clock. This way you keep the same clock, and don't have to slow down your circuit. However, if you can get by with 25MHz like you mentioned that's always an option. Sometimes KISS is the best way to accomplish something, unless you have time to experiment and want to try a few alternatives.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If the 50 MHz input clock isn't used in the design, a DFF clock divider won't cause any timing issues. In this case, it's the most simple option.

0 Kudos