Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16628 Discussions

Incremental compilation problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I developed a project using incremental compilation. I used some signalprobe to debig the systems, and now i need to make a modification to the code and then recompile but the partition merge gives the followin warnings. 

Warning: Forced partitions to use the same Netlist Type setting due to Engineering Change Order (ECO) modifications that span multiple partitions 

Warning: Partition "Top" will use Post-Fit or Post-Fit (Import-based) Netlist Type -- Engineering Change Order (ECO) modifications will be discarded 

Warning: Previously generated Fitter netlist for partition "Top" is older than the current Synthesis netlist, but using the previous Fitter netlist because of the Post-Fit (Strict) Netlist Type setting 

what can I do to recompile the project?  

Thanks
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Stefano, 

I recommend upgrading to 10.0. Per-partition results can be migrated to 10.0 by using the "Export version compatible database" feature in 9.1. When the project is opened in 10.0, Quartus will detect the exported version compatible database and ask if you want to import it. 

Quartus 9.1 will sometimes force partitions to be linked after ECO changes because it detected that those ECO changes affected multiple partitions and that the partitions can no longer be safely separated. In this case, Quartus is probably being overly conservative and the archiver workaround can be used to forcibly seperate the partitions. 

Starting in 10.0, Quartus behavior was improved to never include ECO changes in post-fit partition netlists. This means that you may have to re-apply ECO changes after running a full compile. But it also means that you will always have an useable post-fit result for each partition from before you made any ECO changes. This behavior change is meant to facilitate flows where ECO changes are used for debugging and bug fixes will be made in HDL. For other kinds of ECO changes, they can be easily re-applied through the ECO Change Manager. 

Thanks!
0 Kudos