Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16659 Discussions

Internally connect exported bus.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. I want to split my qsys design into 2 parts: the A is Nios processor and some peripherials, and B is dsp. They both have to use sdram so the plan is to connect it in the top level system through pipeline bridge. The problem i've faced is i can not export data_master and instruction_master outlets unless it breaks internal connections. Any way to bypass this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you want to connect A and B outside of Qsys? Why don't you use hierarchy in QSys by designing two sub systems and connecting them together in a top level QSys design? Connecting them outside of QSys is very difficult and can lead to problems with memory mapping. 

If you use two sub systems in a top level QSys project there shouldn't be any problem connecting pipeline bridges together.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Why don't you use hierarchy in QSys by designing two sub systems and connecting them together in a top level QSys design? 

--- Quote End ---  

That is exactly what i want to do :) My top level qsys system should include subsystem A, subsystem B and sdram controller, connected to both through bridge. But I don't know how to export avalon mm bus without loosing internal connections.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you show a screenshot of your subsystems? 

In the A subsystem, you should add a pipeline bridge, and connect the Nios' instruction and data masters to the pipeline bridge slave input. If you have DMAs that also need access to the SDRAM, connect them too to the pipeline bridge slave. Then on the pipeline bridge, define the master interface as an export. 

Do the same thing on the subsystem B. 

Then when you add both subsystems to the top level QSys design, both should appear with an Avalon master interface, and you can connect both to the SDRAM.
0 Kudos