Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16645 Discussions

MegaWizard Altsyncram generated component uses more M4K blocks then reported

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the following MegaWizard generated component: 

SUBDESIGN ipdram 

clock : INPUT; 

data[23..0] : INPUT; 

rdaddress[9..0] : INPUT; 

wraddress[9..0] : INPUT; 

wren : INPUT = VCC; 

q[23..0] : OUTPUT; 

VARIABLE 

altsyncram_component : altsyncram WITH ( 

ADDRESS_REG_B = "CLOCK0", 

CLOCK_ENABLE_INPUT_A = "BYPASS", 

CLOCK_ENABLE_INPUT_B = "BYPASS", 

CLOCK_ENABLE_OUTPUT_A = "BYPASS", 

CLOCK_ENABLE_OUTPUT_B = "BYPASS", 

INTENDED_DEVICE_FAMILY = "Cyclone II", 

LPM_TYPE = "altsyncram", 

MAXIMUM_DEPTH = 512, 

NUMWORDS_A = 680, 

NUMWORDS_B = 680, 

OPERATION_MODE = "DUAL_PORT", 

OUTDATA_ACLR_B = "NONE", 

OUTDATA_REG_B = "UNREGISTERED", 

POWER_UP_UNINITIALIZED = "FALSE", 

READ_DURING_WRITE_MODE_MIXED_PORTS = "DONT_CARE", 

WIDTHAD_A = 10, 

WIDTHAD_B = 10, 

WIDTH_A = 24, 

WIDTH_B = 24, 

WIDTH_BYTEENA_A = 1 

); 

The MegaWizard reports a usage of 4 M4K blocks and some Luts for this component. 

However when I instantiate the generated component in my design, the fitter uses 5 M4K blocks. 

I am one M4K block short in my total design, the one block less for the 4 instantiations I have would save my day!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your max depth is 512, making a 512x9 RAM, which I thought would actually use 6. At 640x24, I'm not quite sure how it would be done with 4 M4Ks. Your width and deptch aren't nice powers of 2, and you end up wasting bits in both directions. If you can't reduce the depth a little, maybe you have open registers in the design that could be used to build out the last M4K?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Let's leave the binary boundaries aside for a momemt. Life isn't always that simple ... 

Actually in x9 mode, it 4 M4K should hold 768 24 bit words. 

The question was: why does the fitter use 5 M4K if the MegaWizard reports it can do it in 4? 

I the depth is limited to 256, the MegaWizard also reports 4 M4K used but about 50 Lut in stead of about 20 for the depth of 512. If we leave it Auto, it will use 6 M4K (in 2048 x 2). 

By the way: the design is 106% full (after Analysis and Synthesis). I already have a few logic-Cells based dcfifo I'd like to replace with the free M4K blocks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see what you're saying. I would just do it by hand. Make a 512x24 RAM, which should use 3 M4Ks, and make a 128x24 RAM, which should use 1, and use your MSB address to select.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do we have the Megawizard for then? 

512 x 24 and 128 x 24 don't give me 680 by 24 yet. 

The megawizard handles the 640 * 24 as you say, if we limit the depth to 256 or 512, but if you use it that way, the fitter still takes 5 M4K. 

I'll maybe put in a support request, but in the mean time work my way around it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So I'm really confused. What version of the tools are you using? I just ran through the megawizard using the same configuration you are using for the RAM and the megawizard is reporting a usage of 6 M4K blocks for me. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus II version 9.0 Build 132 02/25/2009 SJ Full Version 

Service Pack Installed: None 

Help Version: Quartus II Help Version 9.0 

I was aiming at: 

680 words 

of 24 bits 

in dual-port - single clock mode 

without registering the output data 

(maybe forcing it to use M4K blocks) 

while limiting the depth to either 256 or 512 

I'll attach the .tdf of the generated function.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you set the max block depth 512 then the megawizard will report resource usage of 25 lut + 4 M4K + 2 reg.  

I've no idea why this wouldn't be true in the fitter results however.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Megawizard isn't overly smart. I believe it makes all the rams 512 deep and then stitches them together. This simple methodology works 99% of the time as most RAMs are close to powers of 2. Yes, it could be smarter, but it's a lot better than the old days at X where you had to stitch every single RAM out of RAM primitives. If I have to do it once in a while, it usually take a few minutes and that's it. (But file a request with Altera, as there's no reason it couldn't do this...)

0 Kudos