Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16680 Discussions

Modelsim and altfp blocks

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm attempting to simulate (functional level) a VHDL design using ModelSim that contains altfp_div and an altfp_conv blocks from the altera_mf library. These compile fine in Quartus, but when I try to compile the VHDL in Modelsim it gives me an error because the Modelsim altera_mf library does not contain any altfp blocks except altfp_mult.  

Is there any way to add the missing altfp blocks to the Modelsim libary, or is this a limitation of the starter edition of ModelSim-Altera?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i'm not seeing the same results as you. i'm using Quartus II 9.1sp2 and the accompanying ModelSim-AE version. 

i do confirm that altera_mf only contains an altfp_mult, but the altfp_div.vhd i created with the MegaWizard does compile fine in ModelSim. 

vcom -reportprogress 300 -work work /home/thepancake/testfp/testfp.vhd # Model Technology ModelSim ALTERA vcom 6.5b Compiler 2009.10 Oct 1 2009 # -- Loading package standard # -- Loading package std_logic_1164 # -- Compiling entity testfp_altfp_div_pst_tre # -- Compiling architecture rtl of testfp_altfp_div_pst_tre # -- Compiling entity testfp_altfp_div_8ah # -- Compiling architecture rtl of testfp_altfp_div_8ah # -- Compiling entity testfp # -- Compiling architecture rtl of testfp
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm instantiating the altfp_div block in VHDL directly without using the megawizard: 

LIBRARY altera_mf; USE altera_mf.altera_mf_components.all; ... div0: altfp_div GENERIC MAP ( WIDTH_EXP => FP_WIDTH_EXP, WIDTH_MAN => FP_WIDTH_MAN, ROUNDING => "TO_NEAREST", REDUCED_FUNCTIONALITY => "YES", PIPELINE => FP_DIV_PIPELINE, EXCEPTION_HANDLING => "NO", OPTIMIZE => FP_DIV_OPTIMIZATION ) PORT MAP ( clock => clk, clk_en => calc_en, aclr => clr, dataa => inputs.if, datab => inputs.rf, result => rfDivRes ); ...  

This works fine in Quartus II 9.1. The component declaration for altfp_div is in the altera_mf_components package file (comes with Quartus). I generally use this style of coding so that I can easily change any of the parameters for the div block from parameters from the parent.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see your problem - I only have altfp_mult in the altera_mf library too. Raise a case via mysupport.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i see the same, i guess its an enhancement request

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I created a mysupport for this and got the following response: 

There is no behavioral model for altfp_div in the simulation library, thus you will need to include the MegaWizard instantiation in your source RTL for RTL (functional) simulation. Otherwise, you can try to run a Gate Level simulation to verify your design.
0 Kudos