Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16677 Discussions

Modelsim error: Failed to open file "mem_init.mif" for reading?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey guys: 

I instantiated a synchronous RAM megafunction in my project and successfully compiled in Quartus and Modelsim. But when I run the simulation there is no waveform. I checked the Modelsim transcript it shows an error and two warnings: 

# ** Warning: (vsim-3534) [FOFIR] - Failed to open file "mem_init.mif" for reading.# No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT) : /opt/altera/13.0sp1/quartus/eda/sim_lib/altera_mf.v(187)# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /proc_testbench/DUV_2/altsyncram_component# ERROR: cannot read mem_init.mif.# ** Warning: (vsim-7) Failed to open readmem file "mem_init.ver" in read mode.# No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT) : /opt/altera/13.0sp1/quartus/eda/sim_lib/altera_mf.v(45501) 

It seems that Modelsim cannot find the initial memory file. How can I solve the problem? 

Thanks in advance! 

Yumeng
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hey guys: 

I instantiated a synchronous RAM megafunction in my project and successfully compiled in Quartus and Modelsim. But when I run the simulation there is no waveform. I checked the Modelsim transcript it shows an error and two warnings: 

# ** Warning: (vsim-3534) [FOFIR] - Failed to open file "mem_init.mif" for reading.# No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT) : /opt/altera/13.0sp1/quartus/eda/sim_lib/altera_mf.v(187)# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /proc_testbench/DUV_2/altsyncram_component# ERROR: cannot read mem_init.mif.# ** Warning: (vsim-7) Failed to open readmem file "mem_init.ver" in read mode.# No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT) : /opt/altera/13.0sp1/quartus/eda/sim_lib/altera_mf.v(45501) 

It seems that Modelsim cannot find the initial memory file. How can I solve the problem? 

Thanks in advance! 

Yumeng 

--- Quote End ---  

A common problem. 

quickest way is to insert your mif in simulation folder. 

The problem arises from mif path being correct for ip but not from sim folder.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the mif file needs to be in the same directory that the simulation is run from.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you so much! It works!

0 Kudos