Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Newbie Qsys Question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, here's a quick question, does using Qsys imply that one must instantiate a Nios processor? I'm looking at using Rapid Serial IO or PCIe on my FPGA to interface with a TI DSP chip. But I don't want to use a NIOS processor on the FPGA.  

Thanks, 

Joe
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would guess not. The Qsys tool is just another way of defining your hardware configuration for the FPGA. If you were to use a nios core then you would use eclipse to develop the software for it. You could also define the hardware via a schematic if it were simple enough I suppose. The third option, I think, is to define the hardware via VHDL or Verilog files but I think that's what Qsys does behind the scenes. Someone with better info should comment on my comments pls.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Joe - 

You don't need a processor in the design to use Qsys, but why would you want to use Qsys if there isn't a processor involved? I don't see what it buys you. 

Bob
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Bob, you are correct. Last, question which is easier to implement in Qsys with a processor, PCIe or Rapid Serial IO? 

Thanks, 

Joe
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Joe - 

I would think PCIe. PCIe will also be supported on more external devices than Serial RapidIO (I would think). Will you be running linux, another OS, or bare metal? Driver support is a major consideration, especially with linux. The easiest path is usually to find a reference design that runs on your target platform and copy it as closely as possible. Writing custom drivers can be difficult and time consuming, so try to leverage what's already out there. It may even be worth running linux even if you didn't plan to just to be able to leverage existing drivers. 

Hope that helps. 

Bob
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

why would you want to use Qsys if there isn't a processor involved? I don't see what it buys you. 

--- Quote End ---  

Qsys let's you connect a variety of IP blocks relatively easily and it will generate the necessary instantiation and interconnects. Whether or not it is a net positive or negative probably depends on the scope of your system, and likely doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you have a processor in it or not. 

TI DSP -> (PCIe or SRIO or addr/data bus or SPI or I2C or ...) -> [Qsys] -> various peripherals  

That's a relatively straight forward system to produce. 

Personally I think if you're talking about more than a couple peripherals, or are involving any memory controllers / DMA, Qsys makes sense.
0 Kudos