Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16642 Discussions

Problem with use of real type in VHDL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:01 pm Post subject: Problem with use of real type in VHDL  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Hi all  

I am using quartusII version4 for compiling and simulating VHDL codes.  

I have a problem with use of real type in VHDL, i am using mathpack and write:  

(download from http://www.csee.umbc.edu/help/vhdl/stdpkg.html)  

library IEEE;  

use IEEE.math_real.all;  

but i has a lot of error when compiling such as  

Error: VHDL package error at mathpack.vhd(45): package math_real already exists  

Error: VHDL Use Clause error at mathpack.vhd(1175): design library ieee does not contain primary unit math_real  

Error: VHDL error at mathpack.vhd(1187): object real is used but not declared  

Kind regards for your help 

Vahid
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Vahid, 

I think I read in the help documents that the real type is not supported by Quartus. 

Best regards, 

Blacktom
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The software already has a version of the math_real package in the IEEE library. You're getting the "math_real already exists" because you're trying to compile another version into the same library. Most decent synthesis tools will allow you to use real types for generics and constants but not for signals. Quartus II is no exception.

0 Kudos