Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16681 Discussions

Quartus 10 in Windows 2008 Server

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I installed the new version of on windows 2008 server. 

I copied a project generated from 9.1. 

When I run sopc builder and click generate, it gets hung at the "starting PTF elaboration point". 

anyone came across this before? 

File permissions seems okay.. env variable seems okay. 

any ideas? 

Thanks 

cyberhshakith
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus II isn't officially supported on Windows Server, not sure its tested there at all

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Both 9.1 and 10.0 exhibit the exact behavior. Trying to work through it now. Have reported this in an SR but no ETA for a fix.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The SOPC builder gui when it begins .ptf elab kicks off perl.exe in the cygwin bin dir followed by the sh.exe also in the same dir. Does anyone know if there are any log files in cygwin that we can look at to see where the perl/sh commands are failing? Is there a way to change the java launch commands to redirect console debug info to a log file?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I do have a similar problem. In my case the SOPC Builder doesn't hung completely, but generating takes quite a long time at the point of "starting PTF elaboration point". 

The same problem I have when compiling a project in the Nios II IDE, compiling a simple system library takes up to 8 minutes and about every third time it fails completely with some strange errors. 

I also assume that the problem has to do with cygwin, as in both cases its involved and googling the strange errors brought me to similar cygwin issues, where a windows update was made responsible for, but none specific. As Quartus II and the Nios II IDE worked fine before I had to do a OS re-installation, this could be a possible cause. 

I'm using Quartus 9.1 SP2 (same happens with 9.1 and 9.1 SP1) on a 32bit Windows XP machine with SP3 and automatic update activated (and all installed which where available). 

Does any of you have any updates on that issue? May be a solution?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Seems I've got the solution in my case: I had ThreatFire installed and uninstalling solved the problem in my case. 

I've disabled ThreatFire more than once and also added all the included Quartus II processes (like javaw.exe, perl.exe, sh.exe, cygpath.exe etc.) in the trusted process list and then checked the behavior of the above described issue without noticing any improvement. 

However, uninstalling ThreatFire solved my issue. 

Have you installed the same software or a similar one? 

I've worked with Quartus II, AVG and ThreatFire for about 2 years and never had an issue, till now. AVG is still on my machine and running.
0 Kudos