Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16624 Discussions

Quartus Lite 21.1.1.850 Questa Starter Edition License Issue

ArnovHnl
New Contributor I

Hello,

I wanted to try the latest available Quartus that supports the Cyclone V series still. For this, I went through the supported device page here:

Intel® Quartus® Software Latest Version for Device Support

I chose for the Lite version after having selected "Cyclone V" atop. I tried both downloads, both the full package and the individual files.

The problem is that I can not start Questa as it tells it can not find a license. I followed all usual installation steps, and for the full package, used the setup.bat batch file.

With every attempt I  de-installed the full suite before trying the full version. I installed through the separate files first.

Is this a known issue, or is it something that happens on my end only?

'Thanks in advance,

Arno.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks for your update information. I will feedback to internal team for future release enhancement. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Welcome to Intel forum. Request the Questa Starter Edition free license here https://licensing.intel.com/        

1) Go to Sign up for Evaluation or Free licenses

2) Select Questa*-Intel® FPGA Starter Edition SW-QUESTA

3) # of Seats is always 1

4) Check the T&C box

5) Click Get License button

The license will be sent to email that you register with

But before that, could you help clear your web browsers cache/temporary internet files (if possible, shutdown your PC and restart back) and sign back to SSLC https://licensing.intel.com/  using Google chrome and see how things go.

0 Kudos
ArnovHnl
New Contributor I

Hello,

I have performed the steps you suggest, including from Chrome which I had not yet installed on my system.

I have been able to obtain the appropriate free license and registered my computer with the self service.

Then I tried to get Questa going, going by the license message the program shows when starting up. This means I went to a command prompt, set the environment variabele LM_LICENSE_FILE and pointed it to the location I placed the generated license. This made Questa work when starting from that command prompt. After this, I made a batch file to start Questa from. 

However, I don't think this is a permanent solution. I noted that there is no license service installed on my systen. Nor did previous versions for both Quartus and Modelsim ask for license files where they just ran after starting them.

Might it be possible that somehow the download for Questa itself was the download for the Standard edition download section? Because you see, I attempted to download Quartus two times from the supported devices list. And when the installer started, its title showed that the Standard version was being installed. So I canceled that and just removed the files again. In the download panel it was visible that I clicked the right download link - the downloaded file itself had "lite" in the filename.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks for your update information. I will feedback to internal team for future release enhancement. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos