Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Quartus on Ubuntu 10

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. I followed the directions for installing Quartus, as listed in this forum. I got Quartus to run, and to synthesize a simple program. The third or fourth time that I ran it, however, it crashed at the start and gave the following information. 

*** Fatal Error: Segment Violation at 0xf 

Module: quartus 

Stack Trace: 

0x36ad7: ssl_create_cipher_list + 0x377 (ssl.so.0.9.8) 

0x308a2: SSL_CTX_new + 0x1a2 (ssl.so.0.9.8) 

0xb43e7: QSslSocket::supportsSsl() + 0x17 (QtNetwork.so.4) 

0x37d6b: QHttp::qt_metacall(QMetaObject::Call, int, void**) + 0x1db (QtNetwork.so.4) 

0x151aab: QMetaCallEvent::placeMetaCall(QObject*) + 0x2b (QtCore.so.4) 

0x153739: QObject::event(QEvent*) + 0x369 (QtCore.so.4) 

0x13198c: QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper(QObject*, QEvent*) + 0xbc (QtGui.so.4) 

0x1361c9: QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) + 0xa9 (QtGui.so.4) 

0x1424fb: QCoreApplication::notifyInternal(QObject*, QEvent*) + 0x7b (QtCore.so.4) 

0x143689: QCoreApplicationPrivate::sendPostedEvents(QObject*, int, QThreadData*) + 0x2a9 (QtCore.so.4) 

0x1438ad: QCoreApplication::sendPostedEvents(QObject*, int) + 0x2d (QtCore.so.4) 

0x14172d: QEventLoop::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) + 0x4d (QtCore.so.4) 

0x1419aa: QEventLoop::exec(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) + 0xaa (QtCore.so.4) 

0x143971: QCoreApplication::exec() + 0xb1 (QtCore.so.4) 

0x130fe7: QApplication::exec() + 0x27 (QtGui.so.4) 

0x7f81: QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) + 0x1581 (quartus) 

0x1d7e6: msg_main_thread(void*) + 0x16 (ccl_msg) 

0x51b8: thr_final_wrapper + 0xe (ccl_thr) 

0x1f180: msg_thread_wrapper(void* (*)(void*), void*) + 0x78 (ccl_msg) 

0x1c282: mem_thread_wrapper(void* (*)(void*), void*) + 0xd2 (quartus) 

0x99f7: err_thread_wrapper(void* (*)(void*), void*) + 0x29 (ccl_err) 

0x51eb: thr_thread_wrapper + 0x2f (ccl_thr) 

0x340f0: msg_exe_main(int, char const**, int (*)(int, char const**)) + 0x9e (ccl_msg) 

0x740b: QUI_APP::on_start_flow(int, QString) + 0x3db (quartus) 

0x16bd6: __libc_start_main + 0xe6 (c.so.6) 

0x71f1: QUI_APP::process_cmdline_arguments_pre_main_wnd_create(QUI_CMDLINE*) + 0x161 (quartus) 

End-trace 

This happened after I used some code to enable my laptop to detect a JTAG connection. Does anyone know if this stack trace indicates something wrong with the quartus program, or something wrong with the way I installed it or the JTAG?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

its trying to use http so it must be trying to check for updates or TalkBack or something. try turning TalkBack off?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I too am having this problem. Quartus 11.0sp1, Linux (Ubuntu 11.04). Quartus 10.0sp1 was having this issue too, so I downloaded the latest in case a recent openssl update broke it. Disabling TalkBack does NOT fix it. 

OpenSSL 0.9.8o-5ubuntu1 is what is installed.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

while i understand that Ubuntu and Fedora are nice "cutting edge" distributions for desktop use, isn't most EDA software tested against Redhat/CentOS? 

its hard for me to justify the headache of using a non-supported OS instead of getting stuff done :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's hard for me to justify the headache of RedHat crap in order to use EDA tools. The fact that it was working fine with Ubuntu before tends to make me believe that an OpenSSL update killed it, and I'll see if I can revert, but telling us to use RedHat based distributions is very wrongheaded, IMO. Hell, if you want to give us a bit of choice, tell us to run Debian stable, but please don't feed us the mantra that RedHat or RPM-based distros are the One True Way.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just an update; I've backed up to 0.9.8o-1ubuntu4 and then again to 0.9.8o-1ubuntu4.4 for the libssl package; same error. I don't believe it's due to a libssl change. Maybe something with Qt and ssl.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Another update: It is definitely something to do with Natty (Ubuntu 11.04); Maverick (Ubuntu 10.10) does not have this issue with either 10.0sp1 nor 11.0sp1.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I "solved" it -- in ~/.altera.quartus there is a quartus2.reg file. Open it with a text editor and search for "Check_for_License_Updates". There may be multiple occurances, as each version of Quartus has its own set of entries in the file and if you've upgraded a few times, you will have entries for each version. 

Anyway the setting must be turned off. The default is to enable license update checking. 

Change this line: 

General\Check_for_License_Updates=Yes 

To this: 

General\Check_for_License_Updates=No 

This is only a stopgap measure until Altera or a member of the community can figure out what exactly is causing libssl to explode. I have already submitted an SR.
0 Kudos