Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Shift operator

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a question regarding the shift operation in the below piece of code : 

CODE : 

always @(mem_addr) 

begin 

op_mem_addr = mem_addr; 

x = 1 << mem_addr; 

end 

OUTPUT: 

0 op_mem_addr = 1 x = 2# 10 op_mem_addr = 2 x = 4# 20 op_mem_addr = 3 x = 8# 30 op_mem_addr = 4 x = 16# 40 op_mem_addr = 8 x = 0# 50 op_mem_addr = 16 x = 0 

1) Isn't The syntax for shift operator : variable << no_of_bits ?? OR can it also be no_of_bits << variable ? Because the above code works!!  

2) Left shift is same as doubling the number. Y is the above code working only for some numbers. How can 1 << 3 be equal to 8?? 

3) All the registers are 8bits.. Y is it that the output is 0 for numbers beyond 8?  

Kindly reply if you can understand what is going on here. I dont know what is wrong :( 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm a chinese student,so my English is poor. But I will try my best to answer your questions. 

1)  

It should be variable << no_of_bits. 

2)  

Because the value of the variable << no_of_bits is bigger than h00ff when the no_of_bits is bigger than 7. 

3)  

Because the no_of_bits is too big.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This shift operation is 

expression_to_be_shifted << expression_number_of_bits_to_shift 

According to Table 11-21 of the LRM, the bit length of a shift operation result is the same as the the length of the expression_to_be_shifted. In your case 1 is implicitly 32'd1, a 32-bit length. However, since x is an 8-bit variable, the left 24 bits of the result are truncated.
0 Kudos