Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16666 Discussions

Stratix IV - Error 176603: cannot place node <name> at <text> because it cannot...

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all :) 

I'm using Stratix IV (EP4SGX180KF40I3), with Quartus 11.1SP1. 

I have two clock input pins: AB34 and AF6. 

I would like to choose between them using a CLKCTRL instance in the design (clock MUXing). 

I used the ALTCLKCTRL block from the MegaWizard, with the following configuration: 

- For Global clock 

- 2 clock inputs 

- No enable port 

- No "Ensure glitch-free switchover" 

The SELECT port for the CTRLBLK was implemented with logic (could receive both '0' and '1' values). 

When I run Quartus compilation, I receive the following error messages: 

Error (176603): Cannot place node CLK_125M_SEC at IOPAD_X119_Y43_N0 because it cannot drive the node HDP:U1|CLK_RESET_GEN:clk_rst|CLK125M_SEL:U3|CLK125M_SEL_altclkctrl_lef:CLK125M_SEL_altclkctrl_lef_component|sd2 placed at CLKSEL_G0 

Error (176603): Cannot place node CLK_125M at IOPAD_X0_Y52_N0 because it cannot drive the node HDP:U1|CLK_RESET_GEN:clk_rst|CLK125M_SEL:U3|CLK125M_SEL_altclkctrl_lef:CLK125M_SEL_altclkctrl_lef_component|sd2 placed at CLKSEL_G4 

After getting the error message, I tried also to use a constant value for the SELECT ('0'), but I received again the same error. 

My questions are: 

- In general: Is it possible to drive these two input clock pins through a CLKCTRL block? 

- Do I have anything wrong in the ALTCLKCTRL block MegaWizard configuration? 

- Do I I have something wrong in the way I use the ALTCLKCTRL block? 

Thanks, 

Olga
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You're correct. 

Any help??? :)
0 Kudos