Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16650 Discussions

Synthesis output for multiple driver within one always

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I came across a code snippet and has been boggling my mind quite a bit.  

The equivalent to the code is below: 

a is output and x is an internal register 

always@(posedge clk)  

begin  

a <= 1'b1;  

if (x == 1)  

begin  

a <= 1'b0;  

end 

end 

My question is this:  

What happens when x is 1?  

I know simulation results show 0. It takes the last value, but that's not what I'm looking for.  

What happens on the hardware? 

What signal is prioritized? How does the synthesis tool interpret this?  

Technically speaking, isn't this situation (X==1) a multiple driver issue? 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, it is not. a will be as simulation - it will be 0 when x = 1 and 1 when x = 0 

This is just a registered inverter. 

A single always block can always be condensed into logic (and registers if it is a synchronous process). For any given event, there is a single output. 

You only get multiple drivers with more than 1 always blocks or assignments as multiple events cause multiple drivers on the same signal.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see.  

However, I am not completely clear on this.  

My understanding of multiple drivers is this:  

You have a flop. Two signals are driving the input of the flop at the same time - Which cannot be possible.  

Now, in this code. considering two scenarios by itself.  

a<= 1; is an unconditional non-blocking statement. This takes place every clock cycle.  

On the hardware I believe this to be a gnded wire connected to the D input of the flop.  

if(x==1) a<=0; This would be a mux whose output is driving the input of the D flip flop.  

Looking at the above two conditions, when x equals one. We have two wires with different values driving the input of the flop. Could you please tell me how different this is from a multiple driver?  

Although this would make sense if  

always@(posedge clk)  

begin  

a<= 1;  

if(x==1)  

a <= 0;  

end  

is same as  

always@(posedge clk)  

begin  

if(x==1)  

a<=0;  

else  

a<= 1;  

end  

Your help is appreciated. Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Re-writing the code with comments might help you understand this .. 

always @(posedge clk or posedge rst) begin if (rst) begin // Reset values a <= 1'b0; b <= 1'b1; end else if (x == 1) begin // Defaults a <= 1'b0; b <= 1'b1; // Over-rides if (x) begin a <= ~a; end if (~y) begin b <= 1; end end end  

This style of code can is useful in the combinatorial process of an FSM, as you can ensure that all outputs have assignments. 

The synthesis tool infers that the "last assignment" to the output is the winner and generates the combinatorial logic feeding the register accordingly. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I see.  

However, I am not completely clear on this.  

My understanding of multiple drivers is this:  

You have a flop. Two signals are driving the input of the flop at the same time - Which cannot be possible.  

Now, in this code. considering two scenarios by itself.  

a<= 1; is an unconditional non-blocking statement. This takes place every clock cycle.  

On the hardware I believe this to be a gnded wire connected to the D input of the flop.  

if(x==1) a<=0; This would be a mux whose output is driving the input of the D flip flop.  

Looking at the above two conditions, when x equals one. We have two wires with different values driving the input of the flop. Could you please tell me how different this is from a multiple driver?  

Although this would make sense if  

always@(posedge clk)  

begin  

a<= 1;  

if(x==1)  

a <= 0;  

end  

is same as  

always@(posedge clk)  

begin  

if(x==1)  

a<=0;  

else  

a<= 1;  

end  

Your help is appreciated. Thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

It is two inputs to the flop - but the if statement builds you a mux - one input is 1, the other is 0. Select is connected to x.
0 Kudos