Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16618 Discussions

VHDL design for 8 bit shift register

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I need to program an 8 bit shift register, which will be used in a 4-bit multiplier. 

Basically, this is what it should do: 

1.- Receive inputs x (multiplier), sum (this comes from the adder segment of the multiplier), done, ad, sh, load 

2.- WHen it receives the load signal, it must take the input values x 

3.- when it gets the done signal, it must stop working 

4.- when it gets the ad signal, it must replace the last 4 bits with the sum, also, when it gets sh it must shift 

However, I don't seem to get the expected results. This is the code: 

LIBRARY IEEE;USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all; Entity registro8 IS PORT (load, sh, ad, Clock, done, z : IN STD_logic; x,sum : IN STD_logic_vector (3 downto 0); m : OUT STD_logic; w : OUT STD_logic_vector(7 downto 0)); END registro8; architecture reg of registro8 IS signal s : std_logic_vector (7 downto 0); begin process (load, x, sum, clock, sh, done, ad) begin if(done = '0') THEN if (load = '1') THEN for i in 4 to 7 loop s(i) <= x(i-4); end loop; for i in 0 to 3 loop s(i) <= '0'; end loop; elsif (clock'event and clock = '1') THEN if (ad = '1') THEN for i in 0 to 3 loop s(i) <= sum(3-i); end loop; elsif (sh = '1') THEN s <= s(6 downto 0) & z; END IF; end if; m <= s(7); w <= s; end if; end process; end reg; 

The main problem is that, after loading, the register seems to be deleted. Also, it continues to work, even if the done signal is 1. 

Thanks for the help
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Read a good book about VHDL, it isn't generic programming language like you are trying to use it.  

Your code of the process should look like this: 

process (clock, reset) 

begin 

if(reset = '1') THEN 

-- here are the initial conditions  

elsif (clock'event and clock = '1') THEN 

-- here you write what your shift register does 

-- if(done = '0') THEN 

-- if (load = '1') THEN 

-- if (ad = '1') THEN 

-- else etc bla bla bla 

end if;