Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16643 Discussions

altlvds megafunction in QuartusII v10.0

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I'm having troubles with instantiating the altlvds (rx or tx) megafunction in QuartusII v10.0. 

When I try to add it as a symbol in mijn schematics file I get the standard megawizard plugin manager asking me what format the output file should be. I choose VHDL and click next. Then I get a quick progress bar but and then.. nothing.. :confused: 

Has anyone else experienced this problem? What to do? 

Thanks in advace,  

Void_
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hmm, I found out I can add it without using the megawizard plugin manager. But this is kinda lame though. I would like to use the plugin manager.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am also having problems with the LVDS function in Quartus II 10.0.  

I am not using schematic entry so I am just calling up the MegaWizard Plugin Manager from the Tools menu in Quartus. ALTLVDS_TX seems to work. However, when I try to use ALTVLDS_RX, the dialog is broken. For example, the channels drop down box does not contain any choices and does not allow you to type in a number. There seems to be no way to finish the process.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

kevin, are you using CIVGX? the issue is on page 16 of the 10.0 Release Notes: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/rn/rn_qts.pdf 

seems the Release Notes are a must read for this version
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

kevin, are you using CIVGX? the issue is on page 16 of the 10.0 Release Notes: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/rn/rn_qts.pdf 

seems the Release Notes are a must read for this version 

--- Quote End ---  

That item in the release notes does seem to describe the symptoms I am seeing. However, I am using Cyclone III and Cyclone IV E, not Cyclone IV GX. Also, the described work around does not work. After selecting Stratix II GX and then clicking next the wizard freezes and the only thing I can do is close it. 

My current work around is to just use the mega wizard from 9.1sp2 to create the LVDS functions. The results seems to compile fine in 10.0.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i just tried and saw the same problem with CIVE. however, when i changed the MegaWizard to Stratix II GX i was able to push next and see populated fields. this was on Quartus II 10.0 Linux Subscription Edition

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the workaround is also working on 10.0 Linux Web Edition, i'll see if i can test Windows

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

the workaround is also working on 10.0 Linux Web Edition, i'll see if i can test Windows 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I got an answer from Altera which works at least for me.  

To work around this issue make sure the regional settings on your machine is set to English (UK or USA). This will not affect keyboard mappings, but will affect the default number separators: 

1) Open the Regional and Language Options menu from the Windows Control Panel. 

2) In the “Standards and Formats” box, select “English (UK)” or “English (Untied States)” from the drop down list. 

3) You should see the “.”’s change to “,” in the Number section of the samples window. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My computer is already set to English USA, so that workaround is not going to work for me. 

Perhaps the results when setting the region to English USA differ between versions of Window. Perhaps one could manually edit the various settings in the region settings to make it work. Right now, I couldn't be bothered enough to try as I am just using the 9.1sp2 wizard whenever I need to change LVDS settings.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm encountering similar problems with the ALTLVDS_TX MegaWizard, for an Stratix IV GX part. My ALTLVDS_RX seems to at least start, but the GUI doesn't match the description in the user guide, and most of the tick boxes I need are grayed out. 

Even the description of the ports and parameters in the user guide doesn't match those listed in the specification within the same document. 

And just now I'm encountering fitter errors  

I'm using 10.0 SP1, and I've tried the quoted workaround, but it doesn't seem to change anything. I've got a service request in...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I am a new member of this forum and my English is terrible. I nomaly use the ALTLVDS_TX and ALTLVDS_RX with quartusII9.1, but now I have installed quartusII10.0 sp1 I can't do it. When I try to use the block, the mega wizard don't open, the progress bar run but after this don't happen nothing. 

Colud anyone help me please? 

By By
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi,  

I am a new member of this forum and my English is terrible. I nomaly use the ALTLVDS_TX and ALTLVDS_RX with quartusII9.1, but now I have installed quartusII10.0 sp1 I can't do it. When I try to use the block, the mega wizard don't open, the progress bar run but after this don't happen nothing. 

Colud anyone help me please? 

By By 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

did you try the recommended Altera workaround, which I posted in this thread ? 

To work around this issue make sure the regional settings on your machine is set to English (UK or USA). This will not affect keyboard mappings, but will affect the default number separators: 

1) Open the Regional and Language Options menu from the Windows Control Panel. 

2) In the “Standards and Formats” box, select “English (UK)” or “English (Untied States)” from the drop down list. 

3) You should see the “.”’s change to “,” in the Number section of the samples window. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have the same problem :I have tried to create an ALTLVDS_TX and an ALTLVDS_RX components with QUARTUS II 10.0[/B][/B] SP1[/B][/B] in a Cyclone III FPGA (under WINDOWS XP). But the megawizard tool can’t be launched. 

I changed the Regional and Languages options to be in English mode. But only the ALTLVDS_RX megawizard is launched. 

How can I do to make the ALTLVDS_TX be launched? 

Thank you for your support
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi all, 

I have the same problem :I have tried to create an ALTLVDS_TX and an ALTLVDS_RX components with QUARTUS II 10.0[/B][/B] SP1[/B][/B] in a Cyclone III FPGA (under WINDOWS XP). But the megawizard tool can’t be launched. 

I changed the Regional and Languages options to be in English mode. But only the ALTLVDS_RX megawizard is launched. 

How can I do to make the ALTLVDS_TX be launched? 

Thank you for your support 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

unfortunately ii runs for both in my case (Quartus 10.0 , no service pack). Maybe you should send your own service request to Altera. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Following up from my earlier post, I put a service request in on the identical problem you had. Altera could not replicate the problem... 

I have access to a 64 bit machine, and the ALTLVDS_RX and _TX seems to work on that, but many of the tick boxes and drop-downs are greyed out.  

Are you running XP? 

Now Quartus is crashing at the end of the fitter stage (99%). I've a service request in on that now (still).
0 Kudos