Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16663 Discussions

cannot launch questa intel starter fpga with quartus prime 23.1

wtswkz
Beginner

When I try to run "RTL Simulation" within Quartus, an error occurs:

wtswkz_0-1711983628075.png

And the log says:

wtswkz_1-1711984393898.png

It turns out that the line of the code that went wrong correpondes to line 725 in modelsim.tcl which locates in <install_path>/23.1std/quartus/common/tcl/internal/nativelink.

This line of code is within an if-catch statement:

wtswkz_3-1711984818554.png

So, it means that the command "$vsim_cmd -version" is not exit with 0.

Actually, the command is executed successfully, and the returned string is saved in "version_str". I add a line of code below "if ..." to print out the value of "version_str", and the value is:

"Questa Intel Starter FPGA Edition-64 vsim 2023.3 Simulator 2023.07 Jul 17 2023".

Then I tried same procedure in Ubuntu, questa can be successfully launched. It's because the "if-catch" examination in modelsim is passed, so the "else" branch is executed.

Then I return to fedora, comment out the "if-catch" statement start from line of 712 in modelsim.tcl.

wtswkz_4-1711985802217.png

At this time, questa can be successfully lauched too.

What may cause the diffenrence in the results of the "if-catch" statement in Ubuntu and Fedora?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SyafieqS
Employee

Fedora we dont have fully support and validate for that. You are suggested to use only what is mentioned.

0 Kudos
wtswkz
Beginner

Yeah, I'm using Ubuntu VM now. But I'm still interested what may cause the difference when the tcl script is executed.

0 Kudos