Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16642 Discussions

several kernels simultaneously

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Is it possible to have 2 different applications, each one with its own kernel but both kernels communicating, running in the same time ? 

Thanks, 

Frederic
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. Consider the channel

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, I'll look at the channels 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you talking about two different executables on the host? They would have to both load the same .aocx file in which you have the two kernels. 

The first executable would program the FPGA, but I don't know if the second one won't reprogram it while the first kernel has started running. That's something to try.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes that's what I was thinking about. I'll try and let you know (in few months at least) 

If it's not possible, the solution can be multi-thread. 

Is there any limitation on concurrent accesses from the host to the same kernel ? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do you mean by "accessing" a kernel? 

What I would do is, in an application containing the functionality of both programs, have one (or more) command queue by functionality. Then, you program the FPGA once but enqueue the copies and kernels for each functionality in their respective queue. 

I hope this helps.
0 Kudos