Intel® QuickAssist Technology (Intel® QAT)
For questions and discussions related to Intel® QuickAssist Technology (Intel® QAT).
41 Discussions

QAT driver for Atom C3000 series on VMware ESXi

ex5rer
Beginner

Hi,

I'm looking for a QAT driver for Atom C3000 series on VMware ESXi.
I have already checked the drivers for the hardware version 1.x/2.0, but it does not seem to be supported.
Would you provide the driver?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
28 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ex5rer.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your ticket regarding this particular driver, and I will be helping you with this.

Please allow me to review the available resources and confirm, and I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ex5rer.

Thank you for your patience.

The right driver to use is the one for the hardware version 1.x, however, we have confirmed with the development team that the QAT driver for VMware does not support the Atom C3000 hardware, and there are no plans to add support for it.

A possible alternative would be to use the QAT driver for Linux which has support for this hardware.

If we can help with anything else, please let me know, I will follow up on June 15th incase we do not hear from you.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ex5rer.

I wanted to follow up on this thread to confirm if we can help with anything else.

I will follow up again on June 19th before closing the thread in case we do not hear from you.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
ex5rer
Beginner

Thanks for reply.

If I compile and install this driver(https://www.intel.co.jp/content/www/jp/ja/download/19734/)
by myself, will it be available for ESXi (provide virtual devices to guest PCs)?

And I tried to check the QAT functions using Windows, but the device did not work, although the driver installation completed.
The driver error at that time was as follows.

This device cannot start. (Code10)
STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

This error was the same when running Windows directly on a physical PC or in a virtual environment provided as a pass-through from ESXi.

PC: Quanmax MITX-DNV6 (Atom C3538)
ESXi: 8.0u1

There is no other expansion other than memory and SATA SSD.
I also have two of these systems and have seen the same symptoms on both. So the possibility of a failure is low.
Please tell me if there are any solutions to this problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ex5rer.

Allow us to review this and I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ex5rer.

Thank you for your patience.

Based on the details provided, there are a couple of points we would like to clarify:

1. The QAT driver for Linux will expose the QAT virtual functions to the guest system, however the guest system must also have the QAT driver installed. If the guest OS is ESXi, the QAT driver for ESXi doesn't support the Atom C3000 hardware, therefore this combination is not possible. The virtualization deployment is usually done with Linux OSs in both host and guest sides, so the same QAT driver (for Linux in this case) is used.

2. About the Windows usage, the QAT driver supports the Atom C3000 but with certain restrictions. For example, the host OS supported is only Windows* 10 Enterprise LTSC, and virtualization is not supported with this hardware (Atom C3000).

Let us know if we can help with anything else, and I will follow up on June 20th in case additional time is required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
ex5rer
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.
I almost understand it.

About the use on Windows.
I checked on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC evaluation version and got the same error message and could not use it.
Are there any other restrictions?
This check was run on the physical device, not in a virtual environment.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ex5rer.

I'm currently checking this.

I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ex5rer.

Thank you for waiting.

Our recommendation right now is for you to review the Intel QAT Technical Guide for Windows, as this document includes all the restrictions to consider as well as the instructions for the driver installation: 

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/content-details/710073/intel-quickassist-technology-software-for-windows-technical-guide.html?DocID=710073

Also, the QAT driver for Windows is available at the Download Center, here: 

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19732/intel-quickassist-technology-driver-for-windows-hw-version-1-x.html

Let us know if you have further questions, and I will follow up on June 21st just in case.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
ex5rer
Beginner

I have already followed the instructions in that document to install the indicated driver, but it did not work.
And it doesn't seem to violate the restrictions.

Is there anything else I should check?

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ex5rer.

I'm currently working on this.

I will get back to you soon.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ex5rer.

Please share with us the following:

1. The log file QATInstallSummary.log that should be located at C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) QuickAssist Technology.

2. A complete system report using Intel SSU:

- Download: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

- Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

- To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

I will follow up on June 23rd in case you need additional time.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
ex5rer
Beginner

Report by SSU and installation logs attached.
Please check them.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ex5rer.

Thank you for the details.

I will get back to you soon.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ex5rer.

From the QAT installation log, it seems that indeed the driver was successfully installed, but the SSU report indicates that the system is in Legacy BIOS mode.

This must be changed to UEFI BIOS mode to then try installing the QAT driver again, just keep in mind the OS will probably have to be re-installed to properly perform this action.

If the same problem persists after changing to UEFI BIOS mode, please provide a new QAT installation log and SSU report to check.

I will follow up June 23rd in case you need additional time.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
ex5rer
Beginner

I reinstalled the OS with UEFI, but there was no change.
I also tried attaching an external GPU to enable secure boot, but the result is same.
(Onboard VGA could not be used in secure boot environment.)

SSU logs and screenshots were taken at UEFI boot with secure boot enabled.

0 Kudos
Johnny_V_Intel
Employee

Hello ex5rer

Thank you for your response and for confirming changing to UEFI.

After some research, the status STAUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE is usually caused due to out-of-date drivers or missing updates either at Windows OS level or BIOS level.

Since we confirmed the QAT driver is properly installed, the BIOS is now in UEFI mode, in this case, the next step is to check is if there are any Windows OS updates to apply or any BIOS updates available for the motherboard. Please check for any Windows or BIOS updates available for the system.

Please let us know, we will follow up on this case again on 06/27/23, in case we don’t hear from you before that date.

Best regards,

Johnny V.

0 Kudos
ex5rer
Beginner

Windows is updated with the latest patches.

The motherboard manufacturer did not provide a BIOS update.
Instead, I have listed a items of BIOS settings.
Is there anything that needs to be changed?

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ex5rer.

I'm currently working on this.

I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ex5rer.

Thank you for waiting.

As we continue reviewing this, the status message shown was observed when the firmware files are not available in the <QAT_Driver>\ICPQATFW folder. This typically happens if the driver is installed using the PnP method. The QAT package includes an installer (QATSetup.exe) that should be run to install the driver using the proper way.

Can you confirm if the QATSetup.exe installer is being used?

Also, check the <QAT_Driver>\ICPQATFW folder, confirm the firmware files are there, and provide us a screenshot of its contents.

I will follow up on June 29th in case additional time is required.

Bruce C.

0 Kudos