Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems

C5SX Dev Kit RGII pinning fails

Zarquin
New Contributor II

Dear community,

on the C5SX development kit I would like to test a 1 GB Ethernet connection with the Triple Speed Ethernet IP core.
The core is configured with an RGMII output to the Micrel KSZ9021RN PHY. I have found the corresponding pins in the dev kit documentation - the schematic shows the same pins - so I think the pins are correct.

But the Fitter insists that the pins are wrong. For every RGMII pin I try to allocate I get the following errors:

Fitter Errors:
Error (14566): The Fitter cannot place 2 periphery component(s) due to conflicts with existing constraints ...
Error (175020): The Fitter cannot place logic pin in region (68, 81) to (68, 81), to which it is constrained, because there are no valid locations in the region for logic of this type.
E
rror (184016) There are not enough single-ended output pin locations available

What does this mean?

Thank you

Best regards

-------------

Excerpt from the top.vhd-file

FPGA RGMII Ports (bold = assigned pins)

eth0_mac_rx_clk       : out  std_logic;                                       --  RX Clock (G20)
eth0_mac_tx_clk       : out  std_logic ;                                      --  TX Clock 125MHz (H19)          
eth0_rgmii_in             : in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0) ;     -- RX Bus  (D21, B18, B20, A21)
eth0_rx_ctrl                : in std_logic;                                          -- RX data valid (K17)    
eth0_rgmii_out          : out  std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);  -- TX Bus  (F19, F21, J19, F20)        
eth0_tx_ctrl                : out  std_logic                                        -- TX data valid (A20)

.qsf file

set_location_assignment PIN_D21 -to eth0_rgmii_in[3]
set_location_assignment PIN_B18 -to eth0_rgmii_in[2]
set_location_assignment PIN_B20 -to eth0_rgmii_in[1]
set_location_assignment PIN_A21 -to eth0_rgmii_in[0]
set_location_assignment PIN_F19 -to eth0_rgmii_out[3]
set_location_assignment PIN_F21 -to eth0_rgmii_out[2]
set_location_assignment PIN_J19 -to eth0_rgmii_out[1]
set_location_assignment PIN_F20 -to eth0_rgmii_out[0]
set_location_assignment PIN_G20 -to eth0_mac_rx_clk
set_location_assignment PIN_K17 -to eth0_rx_ctrl
set_location_assignment PIN_H19 -to eth0_mac_tx_clk
set_location_assignment PIN_A20 -to eth0_tx_ctrl

For all the above pins. all pins I set:

set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD "3.3-V LVCMOS" -to <pin name>

Fig. Doku pins

c5sx_eth_pins.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Zarquin
New Contributor II

I now think the problem with the pins on the CVSX SoC is because the RGMII pins are in the HPS (Hardware Processor System) part of the FPGA, which cannot be directly connected by FPGA vhdl code.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Zarquin
New Contributor II

I now think the problem with the pins on the CVSX SoC is because the RGMII pins are in the HPS (Hardware Processor System) part of the FPGA, which cannot be directly connected by FPGA vhdl code.

0 Kudos
Paveetirra_Srie
Employee

Hi,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. 

If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts.

Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos